Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2020 CX-5 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 06:50 AM

Cali is correct:
Most modern brake pads are ceramic and "metallic" compounds though they never actually tell you what the "metallic" make-up consists of.
Mazda OEM pads are included in that group.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Cali is correct:
Most modern brake pads are ceramic and "metallic" compounds though they never actually tell you what the "metallic" make-up consists of.
Mazda OEM pads are included in that group.
Yeah...i like the feel of the mazda OEM and the Raybestos EHT pads but may go back to ceramics on the next brake change. Napa adaptive one ceramics had almost no dust on my other vehicles...expensive though at $70 per axle. The OEM and raybestos formulations have components that are causing dust issues but the Raybestos has been less dusty than OEM.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:40 AM

One often not mentioned and has a large influence of the amount of brake dust is the composition of the rotors. You don't read about this much because most suppliers and manufactures of them don't want you to know the real truth about how they can preform ultimately and tend to generate advertising pads which we all know that everyone ar experts on the subject! LOL
In a lose nut shell, if the rotors are harder then there will be less brake dust and they will along with the pads last longer.
That said when DIY and many service shops start to mix and match brake parts, rotors and pads different companies and not a suggest matched set you will have no clue what the ultimate change in braking performance will be or the amount of brake dust % during pad wear?

Here is also a question ...how many of you honestly bed you new brake friction parts in properly?

Old 05-24-2023, 11:11 AM

I would guess almost nobody...

Old 05-24-2023, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I would guess almost nobody...
Pretty accurate!

Old 05-25-2023, 06:51 AM
Default Bed

Originally Posted by kilroy22
maybe they changed formulations?
Whatever is on my 2018 creates alot of dust.
There's no way oem on 2018 is straight ceramic.
Has to be some compound with organic mix, maybe a hybrid ceramic/organic or semi metallic/organic...not sure

or maybe the dealer stuck some cheapie organics on before resale

edited- the mazda brand oem brake pads i took off look like a combination of organic and semi-metallic... Can clearly see the organic portions interwoven into the semimettalic which has some copper/brass color within the pad.
i bed them in every night😜

Old 05-25-2023, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus
i bed them in every night😜
Ahhh...but did you choose wisely?
Innerspring, foam, hybrid, latex, or airbed?

Old 05-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Default H

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Ahhh...but did you choose wisely?
Innerspring, foam, hybrid, latex, or airbed?
I am allergic to latex. 😊😊🙈🙊

Old 05-31-2023, 09:29 AM
grf

Originally Posted by dapelloCX-5
Hello all,

Just wanted to know if anyone is having issues with their rear brakes? My car just hit 20K miles with the majority of it being city miles. My rear brakes sound like the calipers are sticking really bad and the dealership is trying to say it's the brakes. They need replacement, which I think is BS. They also said the Brake Fluid needs to be changed. I've had plenty of new cars and never had to do this at 20K miles. I seen others post online saying the same thing. Please help!
I had to replace the rear brakes on my 2020 CX-5 with 34000 kilometres. they said it was because of the new parking brake mechanism - the brakes need to be done as they are too thin - cost me $550. I am not happy as I will have them done again in a year or so. That sucks.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:31 AM
grf

My 2020 had to have the rear brakes replaced after 34000 Kilometres - the parking brake mechanism apparently is the problem - cost $550 but I didn't use Mazda parts and so I hope the problem will not reoccur. This sucks.

Quick Reply: 2020 CX-5 Brakes