Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 CX-5 Third Brake Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Default 2017 CX-5 Third Brake Light Replacement

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5 that needs it's 3rd brake light replaced (stupid me backed out of the garage a LITTLE too quickly before the door was all the way up...doh). I have the part and intended on fixing it myself, but after further review, I don't think my skills are sufficient for taking off all the trim without breaking everything without a little walkthrough or some guidance from someone who knows more than I do. Does anyone have any experience working with this model and could give me a run down of where all the clips/screws are, how to pry off, etc, so I don't break the whole thing? Thanks!

Here is the link to the part that I bought:

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

Old 02-07-2019, 01:07 PM

How did you take out the light assembly withoug also damaging the spoiler?!

Old 02-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
How did you take out the light assembly withoug also damaging the spoiler?!
That's my question, I don't know how to do it without damaging parts. Hopefully someone has had some experience with this and can point us in the right direction

Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by mringer14@gmail.com
That's my question, I don't know how to do it without damaging parts. Hopefully someone has had some experience with this and can point us in the right direction
paris1 meant to say, how did you break the light without breaking the spoiler?

I did some work with the high mount brake light a few months ago when I installed a warning flasher unit to it. Unfortunately I don't remember the details but I do know that everything is easy to get to and those plastic pieces just snap right out.

Search the web for instructions on how to wire a flasher to your high mount brake light. That will get you to the point where you can unbolt the unit and replace with a new one. In fact, while you are at it, why not wire in a flasher unit for extra rear end safety?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

2017 KF CX-5.

Remove the trim panel inside the tailgate, remove the 4 nuts, remove the spoiler, remove the cover, remove & replace high stop light.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM

AHHH! I misread! To answer that question, it was a bit of luck (??? if you could call it that)...my garage door came of the tracks when it was opening and i didn't notice when I was backing up and the manual handle happened to be at JUST the right location to break the plastic housing for the light without hitting anything else...I immediately pulled forward when I felt it

Old 02-13-2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
2017 KF CX-5.

Remove the trim panel inside the tailgate, remove the 4 nuts, remove the spoiler, remove the cover, remove & replace high stop light.
Thanks! This is a big help!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 AM

Eazy peezy - if you fast forward on my video of fitting a dash cam, you will see how to undo all that crap in the tail gate