Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2016 CX-5 Parking Break Locked & Engine Surge

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Default 2016 CX-5 Parking Break Locked & Engine Surge

I’m looking for some help with my 2016 Mazda CX-5 that recently experienced a left front end collision. The damage appeared to be cosmetic in nature and I thought I’d do some of the repairs. But initially I couldn’t get the engine to start at all. It appeared that the security system wasn’t recognizing the factory key. I was able to trouble shoot the issue and replaced a bad relay in the fuse box. Now that the I can start the car I’ve uncovered a couple new issues. The engine is surging so strong while in park that I’m unable to put it into gear. The RPMs stay around 2500 and the idle is terribly rough. Keep in mind that the impact did not get into the engine at all but did bust up the plastic housing on the fuse box and air cleaner housing. I’ve since replaced the fuse box and no wires appear damaged or severed. I was going to try and take the vehicle into a dealership to have the engine checked out (can’t find an independent local shop to look at it) but I can’t get the vehicle out of park to load it on a trailer because the parking break won’t release. Even when it appears to electronically disengage and the light goes off the switch, the vehicle still won’t roll when pushed. I’m assuming this is a safety mechanism? Do you have to put the vehicle into gear for the parking break to actually fully disengage? Is there any way to manually disengage the parking break? Would pulling a specific fuse release it? Does anyone have suggestions on the engine surging? At the minimal I'd like to get the vehicle rolling so that I could get the engine checked out by a shop.

Thanks

Last edited by kentukred; 04-03-2018 at 09:42 PM.