Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 CX5 rear chirping / squeak

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 04:35 PM
Lightbulb 2015 CX5 rear chirping / squeak

Hey everyone.. got a quick one to see if anyone else has run into this or this is just a 'one off'

- when driving over bumps or twists and bends, I get a loud annoying Chirping coming from behind passenger seat area right near little portal window in back
- I can't reproduce this noise at all when car is idle in garage. I've tried bouncing the car up and down, jacking it up and letting it fall quick..etc. Taking a mallet to tires to perhaps reverb the noise in cabin..etc.
- It's not the rear tailgate spoiler or anything in the tailgate for that matter. I did check the screws holding down the spoiler and I did have to tighten one, but is not the source of any noise.
- its not the rear seat latch or rear door latch.. checked those thoroughly and lubed them
- I grabbed onto the seat belt re-tractor and bracket, its tight and can't wiggle it at all. The noise is in this area tho
- I have driven around with myself in the back to listen, and I can hear it, but just can't pin point it.
Anyone run into anything like this in the rear area?

rear portal window area with panel off.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Default so no one has a solution for the noise?

so no one has a solution for the noise?

Old 09-09-2021, 04:24 PM

No haven't heard anything. I have also taking off the bumper cover thinking it was the bracket that holds on the controller box in each rear corner.. was tight and yanked on it, no noises. Also, I took out the rear shock, as there is a bulletin on a chirping sound for the shock. I cleaned it, greased it..etc.. still there. Big Mystery !

Old 10-11-2021, 08:58 AM

update on this ! this was my rear passenger side shock.. completely shot and was making the squeak/chirping noises with the right jolts in the road.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:37 PM

Same issue here. It drives me crazy. Like trying to find a cricket on a 500sq yd lawn. I wish there was a fix. Aside from this unstoppable chirp, I like my cx5

Originally Posted by MidNiteMonty
Hey everyone.. got a quick one to see if anyone else has run into this or this is just a 'one off'

- when driving over bumps or twists and bends, I get a loud annoying Chirping coming from behind passenger seat area right near little portal window in back
- I can't reproduce this noise at all when car is idle in garage. I've tried bouncing the car up and down, jacking it up and letting it fall quick..etc. Taking a mallet to tires to perhaps reverb the noise in cabin..etc.
- It's not the rear tailgate spoiler or anything in the tailgate for that matter. I did check the screws holding down the spoiler and I did have to tighten one, but is not the source of any noise.
- its not the rear seat latch or rear door latch.. checked those thoroughly and lubed them
- I grabbed onto the seat belt re-tractor and bracket, its tight and can't wiggle it at all. The noise is in this area tho
- I have driven around with myself in the back to listen, and I can hear it, but just can't pin point it.
Anyone run into anything like this in the rear area?

rear portal window area with panel off.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:01 AM

Reread the posts.
The OP states it was a bad rear passenger shock and a new one fixed the issue.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Reread the posts.
The OP states it was a bad rear passenger shock and a new one fixed the issue.
I was thinking the suspension was possibly the culprit as well. My Acura RDX I previously drove had the same issue for many people, and they all needed the suspension replaced.