Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mysterious bump / thud after coming to a halt

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Default Mysterious bump / thud after coming to a halt

I was driving our 5 the other day. I pulled up at some traffic lights and about 2 seconds after coming to a halt there was a thud (the car felt like it moved slightly and there was a low level "thud" noise). I looked around thinking someone must have driven into me at *very* low speed but no-one was near. My wife then told me it's happened to her a few times. It was as if something heavy had just been dropped inside or underneath the vehicle. The feeling was very subtle but also quite obviously not our imaginations.

My guess is it might have been that big weight on the rear axle falling into position after becoming stuck (but I wasn't sure if this is fixed to the axle or floats somehow).

Has anyone else noticed this (or has any thoughts on what it might be)?

Many thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM

Check underneath your seat and the passenger seat. I had a similar experience for days several weeks ago. It turned out to be the full spare de-icer aerosol can rolling forward and banging under my seat after I stopped. It's True! and funny too. It's a softer noise if it's a 2 litre water bottle though. I had the can in because of the snow and the frosty mornings and nights.
I just remembered it was actually under the rear passenger seats as the rear rear seat are always back to make space for wheelchair and mobilator. That gives the items a large run at rolling to bang after stop.
Tell us if you find a bottle or can there.

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 03-12-2010 at 12:23 PM.