Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 MAZDA CX5 -Audio and IPOD

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Question for you SuperPartyRobot: what happens when you connect then disconnect your Ipod from the CX-5? Does the iPod always go back to the first song on your playlist, or does it pickup where you left? I have the 160gb iPod classic with about 10000 songs on it.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle
Question for you SuperPartyRobot: what happens when you connect then disconnect your Ipod from the CX-5? Does the iPod always go back to the first song on your playlist, or does it pickup where you left? I have the 160gb iPod classic with about 10000 songs on it.
It didn't fix the issue where the iPod starts at the first song in the playlist. I believe that would require an update to the audio unit (which I hope is coming). The same thing happens with my iPhone; it always starts at the first alpha-numeric song.

The info I gave is for people who couldn't get their iPods connected at all. Originally, my iPod kept giving me the "iPod Error" message until I modified the iPod menus.

Now that it works, it takes a few seconds for it to sync up. I have about 4,000 songs on my 5th gen iPod Classic.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM

I've used the MyTouch Ford, and while not perfect, it handles the iPhone/iPod very well.

Mazda has acknowledged the issue, and giving a nebulous statement that they are working on a fix, but the fact they don't have a date is not encouraging. We need to figure out the best avenues to get their attention and keep it. If the problem creates an embarrsment for Mazda and perhaps causes them to lose money, then they will act. I doubt we can affect that much change on our own, but maybe we can still make a loud noise. Mail complaints to MazdaCustomerAssistance@mazdausa.com. I got a response back. Also what about a twitter tag? There is the @MazdaUSA account. What bout #CX5Fail, #CX5IPodFail, #ReallyMazdaReally.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 AM

I've had the same issues other folks have been writing about, and wrote to Mazda Customer Service. Here were the issues I described to them:
- with a 160GB iPod Classic (& 145GB of music) it takes minimum of 7 minutes to connect, and then does not operate with full functionality.
- with iPhone 4S 32GB using BT streaming, iTunes playlist returns to the top whenever the car is started, plus text messages will not load into car unit.
- general clunkiness and unresponsiveness of voice recognition system

And this was Mazda's reply:

"It may take a few minutes for the USB feature to connect, however, it is operating as designed. The Bluetooth streaming will not allow music to shuffle and it will start at the beginning of the play list every time the vehicle is started. We are aware of compatibility issues with the text messaging feature and we are working with Apple to rectify the concern. As you described, the voice command feature is also operating as designed. If there are future updates for the features, they will be made available to you at your local Authorized Mazda dealer."

**So Mazda is saying it's all designed it to work poorly on purpose. Thank goodness the car comes with an auxiliary cable jack.

2014 CX-5 AWD w Tech

Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by OTFiddler
I've had the same issues other folks have been

**So Mazda is saying it's all designed it to work poorly on purpose. Thank goodness the car comes with an auxiliary cable jack.
I hate that response, but I have gotten responses that they are working on a fix. If you write them back saying you still aren't happy, they may give you that response. I really do hate the "Works as Designed" response, it doesn't answer anything. When building a software/hardware system you start with requirements, incorporate the user, get feedback, have developers write a design, have that design reviewed, implement the design, test it, repeat, etc. Really depends on the software development lifecycle you choose, but most of these steps are incorporated somewhere. Assuming Johnson is a sub-contractor to Mazda, Mazda probably just gave them requirements and a deadline. I blame Mazda for having poor quality control and acceptance testing. They got a system back that appeared to work on a cursory check. Ok, so I can plug in a iPod and it plays back. I will bet their test of that feature was all of 5 minutes, plugging in a single iPod. There are many combinations that could have been tested, that probably weren't. In the end, the stereo was an afterthough, a checklist that was met, but nothing more.

Last Mazda for me ever and I plan to trade it in soon at a loss. If they treat the stereo this way, I have no faith in other parts they sub-contracted out.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 AM

The electronics are so bad on my 2014 CX5 that I have actually burned my ipod to CD's. I can fit about 85 songs on a CD. I find this is better than having to deal with the aggravation of dealing with an electronics system better suited for a car made in 2007.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by OTFiddler
I've had the same issues other folks have been writing about, and wrote to Mazda Customer Service. Here were the issues I described to them:
- with a 160GB iPod Classic (& 145GB of music) it takes minimum of 7 minutes to connect, and then does not operate with full functionality.
- with iPhone 4S 32GB using BT streaming, iTunes playlist returns to the top whenever the car is started, plus text messages will not load into car unit.
- general clunkiness and unresponsiveness of voice recognition system

And this was Mazda's reply:

"It may take a few minutes for the USB feature to connect, however, it is operating as designed. The Bluetooth streaming will not allow music to shuffle and it will start at the beginning of the play list every time the vehicle is started. We are aware of compatibility issues with the text messaging feature and we are working with Apple to rectify the concern. As you described, the voice command feature is also operating as designed. If there are future updates for the features, they will be made available to you at your local Authorized Mazda dealer."

2014 CX-5 AWD w Tech

This hasn't been my experience with the bluetooth streaming. It resumes playing where it left off. My iphone4 would sometimes forget where it was, but this appears to be a phone issue as the issue disappeared when I switched to an iphone5. Try more testing with the phone, such as rebooting it or shutting down all background apps. I suspect something else is happening there.

When connected through bluetooth, the head unit has little say about what is playing other than the Next/Prev buttons. The phone is responsible for everything else. Mazda is correct that shuffle doesn't work because (I believe) the bluetooth spec doesn't allow that kind of communication. You can however use shuffle on the phone.

Bluetooth works like this Headunit <-> headunit bluetooth chip <-> phone bluetooth chip <-> music app on phone. An issue with the phone may make it appear to be the headunit when it's not the case.

There's also multiple versions of Bluetooth out there. You may find newer devices like the iphone5 work better.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by craigo
This hasn't been my experience with the bluetooth streaming. It resumes playing where it left off. My iphone4 would sometimes forget where it was, but this appears to be a phone issue as the issue disappeared when I switched to an iphone5. Try more testing with the phone, such as rebooting it or shutting down all background apps. I suspect something else is happening there.

When connected through bluetooth, the head unit has little say about what is playing other than the Next/Prev buttons. The phone is responsible for everything else. Mazda is correct that shuffle doesn't work because (I believe) the bluetooth spec doesn't allow that kind of communication. You can however use shuffle on the phone.

Bluetooth works like this Headunit <-> headunit bluetooth chip <-> phone bluetooth chip <-> music app on phone. An issue with the phone may make it appear to be the headunit when it's not the case.

There's also multiple versions of Bluetooth out there. You may find newer devices like the iphone5 work better.
Thanks very much for this advice. Will give it a try. I've rebooted the iPhone 4S and updated software.

Also, the "Siri" function on iPhone makes a good work-around for shuffling music, and with less button strokes anyway. Initiate Siri and tell it to "shuffle iTunes." It creates and starts a new playlist. It also responds to commands to open programs. I use Spotify, Pandora and TuneIn Radio. Tell Siri to open any of those by name and it works fine.

None of this is an excuse for some of the blatant design flaws on the car's audio system, nor for Mazda's refusal to acknowledge them. But at least there's a way to use these features without having to take your eyes off the road...

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Wink New 2014 CX5 on order

Sold my 2011 CX7, just ordered a 2014 CX5 Touring w/Bose .. Read all these postings ie. ipod etc. I know I'm one of the 'fossil few' that just turns on the radio, happy to get whatever variety I want at the time & doesn't own an ipod, so I think I'll be happy with it. Chicago Bears Talk Radio, I'm looking forward to it! (age 60 - What? Bluetooth isn't answering my flip phone hands free? lol) o boy

Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by BearsFan
Sold my 2011 CX7, just ordered a 2014 CX5 Touring w/Bose .. Read all these postings ie. ipod etc. I know I'm one of the 'fossil few' that just turns on the radio, happy to get whatever variety I want at the time & doesn't own an ipod, so I think I'll be happy with it. Chicago Bears Talk Radio, I'm looking forward to it! (age 60 - What? Bluetooth isn't answering my flip phone hands free? lol) o boy
More power to you, BearsFan. I love this car (or whatever it is), and even though the audio system is really important to me, it's still the best little SUV out there. Handles great, great gas mileage, and unlike most of the others, it actually has a personality. Enjoy!!

Quick Reply: 2014 MAZDA CX5 -Audio and IPOD