Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2014 cx-5 tranmission total kaput @98000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 08:45 AM
Default 2014 cx-5 tranmission total kaput @98000 miles

Take care of your transmission folks- change it's oil every 40 k or so. I bought into Mazda marketing hype and did not even touch it.
Failure started slowy . car computer did not recognize that the car is parked after a drive and refused to shut off.. After a couple of tries start engine and stop engine car used to recognize parking poistion .. i ignored it - Mistake #1

Car used to groan a little when up and 5 % grade or more .. i thought at 98k is normal - Mistake #2

This weekend after a 4 hourr drive back from NYC, a mile from my home stopped at a stop sign .. Damn it won't shift. Only manual 1st gear to go forward . reverse works too. Nothing else. No lights on the dash!.
Got it towed to a dealer . Diagnosis total transmission failure - Estimated Cost $7000. The service rep said (hush hush) it's not worth saving the car .

Called around various transmission places for a rebuild - Average cost $5k but only guaranteed for 12k miles / 1year .

This is my first transmission failure . I think I shall donate it to church who can sell it to a chop shop.

I am tempted to say - Good bye Mazda.

To be fair - Before this failure - Nothing ever happened. Question yourself - It is worth spending $34k for 7 years ?

Old 06-22-2021, 09:39 AM

Ouch, that sucks. What year is your car? Did you buy it new? If you were not the first owner, there is no way of knowing what type of driving the previous owner was doing. If you did get a new tranny, what would your car be worth? You can easily look that up to get a good ballpark number. I'm surprised that there is no scheduled transmission oil change as part of the maintenance, or is there?

I don't blame you for being tempted not to buy another Mazda, but as a rule, they are pretty much at the top of the reliability list. I would place a call to Mazda USA and see if they can help mitigate the cost a bit. You might want to mention to them that given what happened, you will not purchase another Mazda. When I had a couple of expensive repairs with my 2006 Outback, the dealers couldn't help, but Subaru USA sure did. It's worth a phone call. Good luck to you.

Last edited by bobm; 06-22-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by kchester12
... The service rep said (hush hush) it's not worth saving the car .....
I wonder why the service rep said that. Oh yes, how could I have forgotten that they also sell new cars.

I'm also curious how this total transmission failure was diagnosed, other than 'it doesn't shift', At the very least I'd want to see what the ATF level and quality is, then drain it to see if any nasty stuff shows up, plus a scan for actual and/or pending DTCs. And I'd want to see these thing with my own eyes, instead of just accepting this stealership's word on it. Not saying this transmission isn't shot, only that I'd want proof of that before giving up on it.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
I wonder why the service rep said that. Oh yes, how could I have forgotten that they also sell new cars.

I'm also curious how this total transmission failure was diagnosed, other than 'it doesn't shift', At the very least I'd want to see what the ATF level and quality is, then drain it to see if any nasty stuff shows up, plus a scan for actual and/or pending DTCs. And I'd want to see these thing with my own eyes, instead of just accepting this stealership's word on it. Not saying this transmission isn't shot, only that I'd want proof of that before giving up on it.
Excellent points.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:35 PM

As I've mentioned before, early CX-5s (likely all Mazdas) used Nissan transmissions up well into the 2016
model year. Mazda started using their own transmissions in 2017.
The Nissan transmissions are made by their subsidiary. I don't recall the name used, I think it was Jatco.

Another option for the OP is check around area salvage/junk yards for a wreak that has a good tranny.

My 2¢

One option: https://www.swtransmissions.com/?utm...b0a024848e22b0

Last edited by Dennis Wendt; 06-23-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:40 PM

The transmission is Toast... go re-read the key point in the first post! (not going to debate) No need for all the examination or fluid checking this will only cost money to do.

I would however look into a used transmission a little more.