Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2013 CX5 2.2D Loosing Coolant - Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 AM
RPH

Originally Posted by Kirsten Lamb
how did you go about getting them to replace? Currently going through same issue
Hi, I assume you're in NZ, I worked with my local Mazda service team they talked to Mazda NZ and had my head gasket issue sorted. In the end they replaced the engine because the cylinder was scored due to the leaking head gasket. It's worthwhile nothing my vechile while well outside of the warranty period, is NZ new with full mazda service history and done 95,000km. This helps. If the vechile was a import and / or didn't have a full service history with Mazda I'd predict that Mazda may not take on any costs associated with a repair. And to be fair, I tend to agree if that's their view. In my case mazda were excellent to deal with.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by MazdaMan127
our problems with a blown head gasket have also been resolved by Mazda Te Puke putting in a new engine with no quibbles.....still not sure of the cause of the problem at 107000 km but Mazda accepted it was a known fault....

So far so good....fingers crossed

Phil
Hi MazdaMan127, was your CX5 NZ new or imported?

Old 12-01-2020, 04:08 AM

Hello Everyone,
I have just signed up today to this forum as I'm trying to help out my father in law with a Mazda CX-5 that has an overheating problem.
His car is overheating & leaking from the overflow bottle, spraying coolant all over the engine.
I saw Grim mention to replace the cap/ Which cap did you use as a replacement and if he does get one if he should carry a spare with him just in case?
The cap was changed by his mechanic with a Tridon CB 16110, which is the correct cap for his car.
The same mechanic recently changed his radiator as well and has most recently said that he thinks it could be a piston problem & he advises we sell it off...
Since then, a good friend, who is also a licensed mechanic, have a look over the car. He did a pressure test and checked the coolant for gases and he said that it appears to be okay but he would suggest changing the cap, just like you. also do you think the car would run fine cold if there was some internal engine problem?
Thank you
Jason

Old 12-01-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jayisk
Hello Everyone,
I have just signed up today to this forum as I'm trying to help out my father in law with a Mazda CX-5 that has an overheating problem.
His car is overheating & leaking from the overflow bottle, spraying coolant all over the engine.
I saw Grim mention to replace the cap/ Which cap did you use as a replacement and if he does get one if he should carry a spare with him just in case?
The cap was changed by his mechanic with a Tridon CB 16110, which is the correct cap for his car.
The same mechanic recently changed his radiator as well and has most recently said that he thinks it could be a piston problem & he advises we sell it off...
Since then, a good friend, who is also a licensed mechanic, have a look over the car. He did a pressure test and checked the coolant for gases and he said that it appears to be okay but he would suggest changing the cap, just like you. also do you think the car would run fine cold if there was some internal engine problem?
Thank you
Jason
If this started after the radiator was changed, there is a good possibility that when the coolant was replaced, the system wasn't fully burped to get air out and to get coolant into the heating system. This could cause overheating and pressure buildup from the air in the system.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:38 AM

Thank you for the advice.
I was thinking about that too, but from what I have read, it appears this car has common problems that might be beyond burping the car.