Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 liter engine oil capacity

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 PM

Glad to hear someone else besides me is testing the limits of their oil.
I've been using Castrol Edge, Synthetic and have had minimal use between changes. at 8-10K miles I may be 1/4 to 1/2 quart low which is much better than when I tried using Mobile 1. My VW's went 10K between changes (2.0T engines) without incident so I see no reason why this engine should fuss either.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:09 AM

This is so true.
The Mazda CX-5 Oil Capacity:
  • 2.0 L SkyActiv-G is 4.4 qt
  • 2.5 L SkyActiv-G is 4.8 qt.
The oil leveler should be right in the middle of the 2 dots. This is because we measure on a slightly warm engine, and it has some oil inside of it. When the engine cools down and it all drains, the oil level will be higher, so if you pour 5 qt. instead of 4.8 qt. then there will be too much oil! But in any case, this is not a big problem.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:03 AM

if you pour 5 qt. instead of 4.8 qt. then there will be too much oil!
SO? a few ounces of oil over the suggested shouldn't matter.
We're talking less than a cup of extra oil. Bear in mind that most 5 qt. jugs are actually
5.4 (supposedly). Fill accordingly.
The turbo engines call for 5.1, I dump a jug in and go. No eye dropper for me.

My 2¢

Old 04-12-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
SO? a few ounces of oil over the suggested shouldn't matter.
We're talking less than a cup of extra oil. Bear in mind that most 5 qt. jugs are actually
5.4 (supposedly). Fill accordingly.
The turbo engines call for 5.1, I dump a jug in and go. No eye dropper for me.

My 10¢
Good response SIR!!!! Gave you 10 cents on that thought!
No eye dropper for me either Dennis!

There is a large "fudge factor" with the oil capacity with 2016 and newer 2.0 and 2.5 engines. Just to preference this our MODERATOR grim_reaper is in the near future going to be changing his pan and can verify what I already have done and know. FIVE QUARTS of oil may read slightly on the high side of the oil "dumb stick" when you check it. You are NOT going to even come close to any rotating part like the crankshaft or any other lower short block internals specifically the reciprocating assembly that could cause cavitation, nor a very high oil level that it may overcome any gasket or seal due to submerging it . So IMHO worrying about filling 5 qts. (5.25 for turbo oil lines) in a Skiactiv 2.0 and 2.5 manufactured from 2016 and newer is ridicules.

Now if any members have dropped the oil pan and know differently then this information lets swap pictures and measurements and talk about how you came to your conclusions?

I dropped the pans on the MAZDA engines to take measurements for a my pan project in which I will be taking two factory pans and creating from them a deep sump pan for increased oil capacity adding in better oil temperature control.
Not my first RODEO doing this by any means.

Last edited by Callisto; 04-12-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:28 PM

While most of the traditional American V-8 and V-6 are gone, they generally could easily handle a whole
quart over the recommended fill with no problems of foaming the oil.
'Course, windage trays in many engines would prevent that.

My 2¢

Old 04-12-2021, 05:25 PM

The biggest market in the world is still for American V-8's for anything performance related. They are far from gone! Unless you are referring or meant to say daily drivers vehicles offered from auto manufactures?

As for your comment about windage trays...
.....well close enough I guess..... I can understand you were no Performance Engine Builder or Engine Performance Machinist. Actually a Crank shaft Scraper carefully machined fit and or combined with a *Windage tray will reduce the splashing effect *during hard acceleration (DRAG RACING) and help control that oil splashing around causing air to get mixed into the oil (bad ju-ju) while an oil scrapper removes unwanted oil from the crankshaft as it rotates that can cause parasitic drag.

I would also not have said a blanket comment about the oil pan capacity of (American ) V-8 or V-6s or for that matter early 4 cylinders or in line 6s. Some of the pans could NOT handle more then the recommend oil capacity and if you did add more oil the the high mark on the "dumb stick" that was one way to almost guarantee an oil leaking engine .

Last edited by Callisto; 04-12-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:59 PM
Cool

....This is because we measure on a slightly warm engine, and it has some oil inside of it. When the engine cools down and it all drains, the oil level will be higher, so if you pour 5 qt. instead of 4.8 qt. then there will be too much oil! But in any case, this is not a big problem.
Actually, hot oil expands, so you don’t really know if the level is higher or lower than when measured cold. The oil should be no higher than the upper dot, not only in the middle. It’s your choice how much oil to put in, I guess an eye dropper is called for. Me, meh.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:49 PM

The biggest market in the world is still for American V-8's for anything performance related. They are far from gone!
Didn't mean to imply they were GONE. I was referring to the 'forgiveness or fudge factor' as far a 'overfill' goes.
Newer version of many V-8 and V-6 are not as tolerant. Making newer version of small block 8 and 6 cyl. engines means
they've down sized oil pans along with other dimensions. The V-6 I'm most familiar with, the Buick 3.8 V-6 is now gone.
To big despite being one of GMs best engines. I would tolerate a quart overfill. Some older Ford V-8s as well as some GM
V-8s.
Crank scrapers are not a factory feature as far as I know.

My 2¢

Old 04-13-2021, 09:46 AM

The thermal expansion of Motor Oil, yes it happens but here is the thing as far as I am aware not many now how to first find the specifications that shows what that rate is for the motor oil chosen to be used in your engine.
But for those wanting to know for sure it is available because the Feds at least here in the the US require all motor oil sold and distributed must have a complete DATA specification sheet. Good luck finding it. It does contain some interesting information that helps debate on threads having to do with synthetic and none synthetic motor oil.

Also not many of you are aware but have you ever noticed the "DUMB STICKS" in engine seldom ever said check oil when hot like most automatic transmission do. There is a reason for this.

Last edited by Callisto; 04-13-2021 at 10:15 AM.