Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

19" vs 17" Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 06:35 AM

Thanks. I will follow your advice and really appreciate it!

Old 01-18-2021, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by GregP74
I've driven a few CX5s over the years but I just realized they've all had the 17" wheels on them. I kinda started looking at a Carbon Edition online and realized I need to test drive one of those with their 19" ones. I've read the 17s are a little more comfortable soaking up more of the jitters in the road. I'm probably going to open a whole can of worms asking this but what do you guys prefer? Is either better for longevity? Prices of tires? Performance? (Eventually I may need snow tires also.)
Having driven on 19" wheels for about three years now, no complaints so far. For comparison purposes, I have 17" on my Golf. Don't notice much comfort difference switching between the two cars. Also agree that the 19" look better on the CX-5, but of course, replacing the tires will be more costly compared to the 17"

Old 01-19-2021, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jmartin
I agree with Grim. The 19s will give you a slightly sportier ride and winter wheels and tires are a great investment.

I would, however, go with a better looking wheel than the steel. For $100 to 200 more total, you can have a wheel that will look great on your Mazda.
^^^^What he said. Tire Rack was great for my other car. They sent winter tires, mounted and balanced on aluminum wheels with TPMS and lug nuts in a matter of a couple of days. Amazing service. This was not for a Mazda, but I did use 17 inch wheels.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:29 PM

Well after a couple months of looking at cars of various brands I think I've come come full circle back to a CX5. Not quite what I was originally looking at -- I think I've come to a decision on a CX5 GT with the Premium Pkg. Even though with the rough roads around me I do prefer those other wheels and tires. (Although if I buy one of these and see someone picking up a lower trim I would totally see if they want to trade!)

Old 03-10-2021, 12:13 AM

Well after a couple months of looking at cars of various brands I think I've come come full circle back to a CX5. Not quite what I was originally looking at -- I think I've come to a decision on a CX5 GT with the Premium Pkg. Even though with the rough roads around me I do prefer those other wheels and tires. (Although if I buy one of these and see someone picking up a lower trim I would totally see if they want to trade!)
I would suspect you could find such a person easily. I believe the wireless AA/CP may be an available upgrade according to another thread I was reading. I think the ability is there and it just needs a software update. We have a 19GT/PP/fwd and have been very happy with the car. The 19" wheels/tires ride fine in my opinion, but the stock Toyo tires are not great. They don't last very long so you will be upgrading soon.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I would suspect you could find such a person easily. I believe the wireless AA/CP may be an available upgrade according to another thread I was reading. I think the ability is there and it just needs a software update. We have a 19GT/PP/fwd and have been very happy with the car. The 19" wheels/tires ride fine in my opinion, but the stock Toyo tires are not great. They don't last very long so you will be upgrading soon.
I took the plunge yesterday and I'm getting the GT with the Premium package. I was pretty specific about what I wanted -- the Eternal Blue Mica color, black interior, and no roof rails. They didn't have one there but they're getting one from another dealer in the Chicago suburbs so it'll be here in a day or two. I wanted a set of those mud/splash guards on it and got them to throw those in (and the labor to install them.)

I seem to remember my 2015 Mazda 3 had the Toyo tires and they only lasted me about 20k miles. I don't remember what it was I ended up getting to replace them at the Discount Tire store up the street but they were a big improvement.

Chances are the 19s will be just fine for me. I was paying close attention while test driving them side by side and they didn't feel quite as good but when I am doing my day to day travels I'll probably get used to it. I did put a message on Craigslist though about trade. Chances are that place will only get me weirdos and scammers but who knows? Someone in the opposite situation as me who got the Touring but really wishes it had the bigger rims could be out there. I don't really want to put them n Ebay. It would surely cost a fortune to send a set of rims and tires somewhere. If worse comes to worse I'm sure I could find start putting some extra $$ aside now and when the factory tires need replacing I could get some snazzy looking 17" rims. (The cheaper 17" vs 19" tires would hell offset some of the cost anyway.)

Old 03-10-2021, 06:57 AM

I took the plunge yesterday and I'm getting the GT with the Premium package. I was pretty specific about what I wanted -- the Eternal Blue Mica color, black interior, and no roof rails. They didn't have one there but they're getting one from another dealer in the Chicago suburbs so it'll be here in a day or two. I wanted a set of those mud/splash guards on it and got them to throw those in (and the labor to install them.)

I seem to remember my 2015 Mazda 3 had the Toyo tires and they only lasted me about 20k miles. I don't remember what it was I ended up getting to replace them at the Discount Tire store up the street but they were a big improvement.

Chances are the 19s will be just fine for me. I was paying close attention while test driving them side by side and they didn't feel quite as good but when I am doing my day to day travels I'll probably get used to it. I did put a message on Craigslist though about trade. Chances are that place will only get me weirdos and scammers but who knows? Someone in the opposite situation as me who got the Touring but really wishes it had the bigger rims could be out there. I don't really want to put them n Ebay. It would surely cost a fortune to send a set of rims and tires somewhere. If worse comes to worse I'm sure I could find start putting some extra $$ aside now and when the factory tires need replacing I could get some snazzy looking 17" rims. (The cheaper 17" vs 19" tires would hell offset some of the cost anyway.)
Sounds like a nice car! Regarding Craig's List. You may get scammers. Their usual approach is by text/email - "I am interested in your (xyz), are they still available? I can send you the money right away," They may even offer more than you asked for - beware. They also may ask for a Google Code - NEVER give it to them. The easiest way to check for fraud is to see the area code they are texting from. If it is from a distant area code - and it always is, it's a scam.
In your particular case - especially without a business account with FedEx, UPS, shipping charges would be very, very expensive - way too prohibitive. My advice would be to keep the 19's and reevaluate when it's time to replace them.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:00 AM

Yeah that sounds like typical CL!