Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

19" vs 17" Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Agree, I don't have it either and only found out when I called Sirius to move it over from my Audi yo the Mazda. I do miss it. Terrestrial radio is horrible with commercials filling up half the air time, not to mention, the playlists are so very, very limited. And what makes it worse is that there is no longer a CD player to help fill the void. Oh well, that's progress - or not.
I was shocked to see they'd removed it. Thankfully I've got a pretty huge music collection on my iPhone so I won't miss out so much on listening to the 80s channel if I don't have XM. I have gotten into the habit of listening to CNN on there also though and I'll kind of miss that if I get a car without it. I'm not actually in the car nearly as much as I used to be but I will miss it if I go on a long trip.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:53 PM

It is time to change tires. Would there be any difference in ride comfort and noise if I were to put 17" rims on my 2017 CX-5 GT?
Regardless, which brand of tires would be quieter? Most of my driving is in town with occasional freeway trips.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:03 PM

If you change to a higher profile tire (17 inch {225-65-17] vs 19 inch [ 225-55-19] wheel) it will likely ride a bit softer, handle a bit sloppier and possibly be a tad quieter. You can check out the ratings online on Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct, and don't forget Consumer Reports which tests tires periodically.

If you live in an area that doesn't get any snow then you might be happy with some less aggressive tires, which tend to be noisier. I have been quite happy getting tires from Discount Tire and Costco. You might ask them for a recommendation to meet your preferences.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Zingowner
If you change to a higher profile tire (17 inch {225-65-17] vs 19 inch [ 225-[b]55-19] wheel) it will likely ride a bit softer, handle a bit sloppier and possibly be a tad quieter. You can check out the ratings online on Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct, and don't forget Consumer Reports which tests tires periodically.

If you live in an area that doesn't get any snow then you might be happy with some less aggressive tires, which tend to be noisier. I have been quite happy getting tires from Discount Tire and Costco. You might ask them for a recommendation to meet your preferences.

Hope that helps.
I test drove the Carbon Edition and the Touring again and took them both over some of the roads around here that aren't all that great. The 17s were a bit smoother and more comfortable. I must be getting old because I preferred them. Next thing you know I'll probably be yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:35 PM

I own a 2016 Audi A3 with 225/45 18’s. I’ve had 2 bent rims over 4 years on the roads in Southern NJ. I hate low profile tires. I don’t believe the handling between 45/65/65 is very different. Modern tires don’t require low profiles to have stiff sidewalls. I chose my new 2021 CX-5 Touring based on the 17” tires. I’d rather give up a few amenities for a better ride and less hassle with damaged rims. Also, I have a 2012 Miata for fun😀

Old 01-13-2021, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by GregP74
I test drove the Carbon Edition and the Touring again and took them both over some of the roads around here that aren't all that great. The 17s were a bit smoother and more comfortable. I must be getting old because I preferred them. Next thing you know I'll probably be yelling at kids to get off my lawn.
Make sure you have an M1 rifle before you do that.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:07 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by schmieg
Make sure you have an M1 rifle before you do that.
Duly noted. Probably necessary these days!

Old 01-13-2021, 09:09 PM

Duly noted. Probably necessary these days!
Absolutely necessary for the Clint Eastwood effect.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:11 PM

Yeah I have to just decide which model I like best. Tires are a secondary concern. I agree those red seats on the carbon are pretty classy looking! I'm going to be coming from a loaded 2018 Sonata. I had to get all the bells and whistles for that to get the nav system and to be honest I don't need or use most of the stuff it's got. I do wish Mazda wouldn't have gotten rid of the XM radio in the Touring edition. That's about the only upgrade in the Grand Touring that I'd miss.
Stream XM from your phone or Car Play. There are actually more stations that you don’t get using the XM tuner like 710 The Loft.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Psu79
Stream XM from your phone or Car Play. There are actually more stations that you don’t get using the XM tuner like 710 The Loft.
That's true. (Still would be easier to just use the tuner. I also wish they CX5 had wireless careplay and charging)

Quick Reply: 19" vs 17" Wheels & Tires