Mazda CX-30 The place to discuss the newest compact SUV addition to Mazda's lineup.

iStop Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 08:49 PM
Default iStop Problems

I’ve got a new Mazda CX30. The iStop only lasts 15secs and then the engine restarts automatically even if I haven’t touched the pedals or steering wheel. 25% of the time the iStop doesn’t work when I stop the vehicle.
The battery always shows it’s fully charged (all blue bars lit up).
I’m having its first 1000km service today….. they say that restarting after 15secs is normal despite the fact it says nothing to this effect in the manual.
Anyone else’s experiences with iStop?

Old 05-05-2021, 06:24 PM

I feel your pain, JoJo. I personally despise the stupid iStop, and make it a point to switch the double-damned thing off every time I get in the car. The small fuel saving simply isn’t worth the loss of instant throttle response.
A number of things may be at work here. Pedal pressure definitely plays a part, and it can be something of a game to hold the car gently on the brakes without triggering the iStop. It may be that the 25% you report could just be that alone. I was given to understand that the system employed on the 30 relies on a capacitor, rather than the battery (I haven’t confirmed this, so don’t take it as gospel). Once the capacitor is discharged, the system seems to favour recharging it via current from the alternator instead of the battery, which means the engine restarts of its own accord. If there’s been a lot of stop/start, as in peak hour commutes, the capacitor never fully recharges, so the engine kicks in early. However, this all conjecture on my part.