Mazda CX-30 The place to discuss the newest compact SUV addition to Mazda's lineup.

Brake Pads and Discs need replacing after 21k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Dude any member can post on a thread as long as it remains on topic. My posting is! See these forums as well other forums basic guidelines for posting and starting threads! I am asking legitimate question and comments. Your own thread is lacking supportive information like perhaps more details about the actual wear the Mazda dealership found regarding your Mazda.
So why not respond with my questions. I have lots more waiting to at least try to keep fact from fiction on anything regarding claims about defects that have no really supportive information. In this case I posted that because you are claiming several systems all prematurely wore out and that is a defect. Ok fine now let's see some pictures and perhaps what the service department advised and concluded that is not in your translation.
I do not feel you are answering in good faith and have asked politely for you to no longer participate.

Please respect other posters' wishes. Thank you

Old 01-05-2023, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by GrumpOldMan
I do not feel you are answering in good faith and have asked politely for you to no longer participate.

Please respect other posters' wishes. Thank you
You cant do that on this forum so sorry if you dont like my responses. As long as they are on topic I will continue to respond.
BTW you are asking me not to respond is OFF topic.
Now back on topic..

Please out of respect for those who wish to evaluate your information and may be concerned about their own Mazda post or answer some of my questions that can help other make a better and informed choice and perhaps ease their minds thinking that their Mazda may have the same problems as yours!

Old 02-01-2023, 12:07 PM
Default I’ve had the same problem

I have just had my second service on my Mazda CX-30, it is 2 years old and has done just less than 21000 miles and I have also had to have new rear brake discs and pads. I am horrified. I have been driving new cars for many, many years and I have NEVER had to have these replaced on any car before 75000+ miles. I am going to complain to Mazda, perhaps you should do the same. On another forum someone said that I would have had to drive with my foot on the brake for all of those miles for this to happen. The garage (Mazda dealership) just fobbed off my complaint.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Helen Scotland
I have just had my second service on my Mazda CX-30, it is 2 years old and has done just less than 21000 miles and I have also had to have new rear brake discs and pads. I am horrified. I have been driving new cars for many, many years and I have NEVER had to have these replaced on any car before 75000+ miles. I am going to complain to Mazda, perhaps you should do the same. On another forum someone said that I would have had to drive with my foot on the brake for all of those miles for this to happen. The garage (Mazda dealership) just fobbed off my complaint.
Welcome to the forum.

There is no current alert to your rear brakes wearing prematurely because of a defect. Not saying you are at fault you should monitor the problem. Next time get pictures of the brake parts they replace.
The system used on MAZDA may be a lot different from your past vehicles.
As for the other forum reads more like OLD school thoughts about brakes often that and other things from members on forums not in the auto service profession and I would not take it personal.

The dealership can only go by what they find and will state that on your work order and with your VIN entered with them MAZDA will also have record of it. So you at least in documentation did not get "fobbed off"! I got to look up what that means.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Default Ridiculous

I love Mazda SUVs, but I have heard this about Mazdas. My future son-in-law has a CX 5 and his tires and front brakes wore out in 30,000 miles. I have a Nissan that weighs about 4-500 pounds less than the CX 30, and I just bought my second set of tires (original Continental, plus purchase at 60,000 + purchase at 120,000 Solar Tires which lasted 70,000 miles and I now have 190,000 miles on the car. The Solar Tires were half the cost of the Continentals.
I replaced my front discs and pads at 120,000 miles. I did this myself with Wagner discs and Akebono pads. Huge mistake not buying from Nissan. These aftermarket parts are losers, as I only got 70,000 miles on them with nothing left in them.
I replaced my rear brakes at 140,000 miles and they are still good.
As I said earlier, I love the Mazda, but I am a tightwad when it comes to maintenance. I keep my car up, but I do not see doing 4-6 brake jobs and 6 sets of tires in 190,000 miles

I had another problem with aftermarket parts. I replaced my lower control arms at 142,000 miles and the mechanic put in Moog control arms. Big Mistake. I had very loose ball joints in 30,000. I saved some money, but if I kept replacing the Moog parts, the cost I would be spending two or three times as much as the Nissan.

Last edited by rickmay; 01-02-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:42 PM

Brake pad wear cannot be compared from manufacture to manufacture and brake pads wear is directly influenced first by the driver.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:01 PM
Exclamation Mazda has problematic brake and tire wear

Below, I wrote that I have seen online comments about tires wearing out in 30,000 and brakes as little as 20,000. Someone tried (a moderator, or Mazda employee} that it all depends on how you drive etc,, etc., etc. This is true within reason. Personally I got 120,000 miles on my brakes and no less than 60,000 on my tires, and I drive a combination of hard and also normal. My wife who also is a normal driver. I have 70,000 on my current set of tires (Solar, which is half the price of Continentals) which were just replaced with the same brand at 189,000 miles.

I am not sure I want to buy a Mazda, because complaints are all over the internet on these two issues. My future son in law has a CX-5, and he told me he replaced the tires and brakes just short of 30,000 miles. I don't know if Mazda uses metallic brakes which have a shorter lifespan, but they do not use it as an excuse when people question them. Many of the premium tire manufacturers (which Mazda uses) state the wear life in their tires, often 60,000 or 70,000 miles, so why is this not happening on Mazda cars? They use Continental tires for one example which should be good for 60,000 miles. I got 60,000 miles on my Continentals, and I often floor the car, drive it thru expressway cloverleafs at 50 MPH, and 80 MPH on the expressways (and yes, I also have to stop, slow or hit the brakes at that or lesser speeds).

I drove nothing but Mercedes when I was working and they used a softer rotor and metallic pads, but they explained the shorter lifespan to you. (By the way, Euro cars are not worth keeping after the warranty is up) Mazda is putting their heads in the sand on Tires and Brakes; it is a problem needing solving, or at least a reason why it is happening. While looking at a CX-30, I asked the service department when people's brakes and tires were being replaced, and they said 30,000 miles, which is ridiculously low. Mazda, moderators and senior members of this forum should talk to corporate and fix the problems.

Sincerely,
A "junior member" with over 1,000,000 miles under my belt

Last edited by rickmay; 01-23-2024 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-24-2024, 06:02 AM
Default Cruise Control

Regarding Brake parts wearing down along with tires, I would be curious to know if many people experiencing these issues use their cruise control more than average. I have noticed that depending on how you have the distance to the car you're following adjusted in your settings determines how much force is applied to your brake system, thus putting more wear on your pads rotors, and tires.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:21 AM

Have you been to another shop to get a second opinion?

BTW: I have a 2021 2.5L CX30 with 74000K. Original brakes are still healthy.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rickmay

I am not sure I want to buy a Mazda, because complaints are all over the internet on these two issues. lt
Well don't it your choice.

You get bad information that is not accurate in the numbers of actual model and year sold and you spend to much time reading internet people that post negative information that really is mostly incomplete. Go see how many you can find that rave about how many miles they get on their brakes. I don't think you will find many at all. Why? Because the 99% get normal brake wear and don't post about it unless there is a thread or internet conversation that is like this one.

The other thing with all your miles driving (which means really nothing) you should have at least learned you don't compare platform like brake systems . I have considerably less **** seated driving miles as you but there is not a vehicle in the world I cant make the brakes go longer than the average DD even with 1,000,000 driving time . LOL

Quick Reply: Brake Pads and Discs need replacing after 21k miles