Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

'90 B2200 Interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 09:03 AM

There should be no "grounded" wires that go into the fuse box. Only power IN and power OUT, depending on what "side" of the fuse that they are on. It certainly looks like someone has been behind that fuse box and has removed some of the wiring that "clips" into the fuse box.......what you may be dealing with here, is someone tried to get their dash lights & tail lights working again......AFTER the combination switch had failed at some point. The combination switch is the entire light switch assembly.....headlights, tail, blinkers, etc......and it is located inside of the steering column & has the lights/blinkers/wipers switch handles sticking out of it.

There is a known issue with the headlight portion of the combination switch, where the points inside of it will have overheated at some point and the tabs of metal that the points are on, will not make a good enough contact when the Parking Lights are turned on......and therefore no tail lights or dash lights. I have seen several different "work around" fixes to get the lights to work again......that I wouldn't do myself.

The headlight portion of the combination switch can be opened up and cleaned inside, the metal points arms for the points bent slightly to ensure a proper contact again, and put back together again. I have a thread on this either on this Mazda site or another one......I will find it and post the link soon.

Keep us posted on what you find also!

Old 04-09-2023, 09:08 AM

Here is a link to a YT video that someone has made on the Combination Switch fix......

Old 04-09-2023, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by MeB2000
There should be no "grounded" wires that go into the fuse box. Only power IN and power OUT, depending on what "side" of the fuse that they are on. It certainly looks like someone has been behind that fuse box and has removed some of the wiring that "clips" into the fuse box.......what you may be dealing with here, is someone tried to get their dash lights & tail lights working again......AFTER the combination switch had failed at some point. The combination switch is the entire light switch assembly.....headlights, tail, blinkers, etc......and it is located inside of the steering column & has the lights/blinkers/wipers switch handles sticking out of it.

There is a known issue with the headlight portion of the combination switch, where the points inside of it will have overheated at some point and the tabs of metal that the points are on, will not make a good enough contact when the Parking Lights are turned on......and therefore no tail lights or dash lights. I have seen several different "work around" fixes to get the lights to work again......that I wouldn't do myself.

The headlight portion of the combination switch can be opened up and cleaned inside, the metal points arms for the points bent slightly to ensure a proper contact again, and put back together again. I have a thread on this either on this Mazda site or another one......I will find it and post the link soon.

Keep us posted on what you find also!

Thanks, I never knew that was an issue but glad to know it is an issue. Although Interesting enough, when I did pull that whole fuse out, the one who ever cobbled together was burnt. I assume that may have been caused by the headlight switch. Anyway I'll keep posting on what I found, when I take out the cluster and dash.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:25 PM

An Update. I may very well just tear the dash apart, and just put in a new whole wiring harness in and fuse block but for now. I jumped the wire on the dimmer switch they came on. Mazda still has the dimmer switch, so I'll be putting a new one in.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
An Update. I may very well just tear the dash apart, and just put in a new whole wiring harness in and fuse block but for now. I jumped the wire on the dimmer switch they came on. Mazda still has the dimmer switch, so I'll be putting a new one in.
I've had my 1988 B2200 since 1994, and never have had my dimmer wheel switch go bad. Nonetheless, I did pull a few spares from the parts yard.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:50 PM

If there are Mazda trucks in a local junkyard, I would start there......they don't go bad often. A new Mazda Panel Light Resistor is going to cost a bit!

UB4055490A24.html