General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

More Bizzare Wiring problems on a B2500

Old 05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Default More Bizzare Wiring problems on a B2500

[:@]Whenever I put the clutch in on my 1998 Mazda B2500, 2wd 5spd, the starter is activated. I tried replacing the clutch safety relay(with a used one) same thing, replaced the starter, replaced the ignition switch and replaced the entire clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing(I thought that was the noise and not the starter). Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Is my used clutch relay bad? Is there anything else that could be making the starter activate when the clutch is pushed in? Sometimes when the ignition switch is on it activates itself, but always when the clutch pedal is pushed in.

Any ideas?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Default RE: More Bizzare Wiring problems on a B2500

There should be no voltage in that entire cicuit unless the key is in the "start" position. Quick look at where voltage starts and ends. When key is turned to start, power is allowed thru the switch to the Red w/ lightblue wire. From the switch it then goes thru a 7.5 amp #24 fuse in the dash fuse box. If you have anti theft it would then go thru the starter interupt relay and then on to the clutch pedal switch. By now the wire is White w Pink stripe (changed after the fuse ). When clutch is depressed and clutch switch closed then power goes thru switch to Pink wire to the starter relay. Relay is then closed magnetically and Power from the battery is sent to the starter to make it go.
Could not be a relay problem as a faulty starter interupt relay would not let it start at all and a faulty starter would make the starter run all of the time untill you disconnected the battery.
You must have either a bad ignition switch or a wire shorting out and allowing voltage into this circuit. Try pulling the 7.5 amp #24 fuse and see what happens. This will at least cut the problem area in half.