Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Made the impossible possible :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Ok will check those today when the sun comes up and it warms up....if its not rainy. I do need to get a new radiator I found out, after my test drive (which by the way almost didn't happen see below) there was alot of steam rising from the front, popped the hood and noticed it was coming from the rad below the rad-cap, the second I touched the fins and core the aluminum fins just disintegrated. So the radiator is rotten and seeping, not leaking enough to leave drips but enough to put out quite a bit of steam, so I did the only thing I could think of at 5:30pm and all stores closed: pre-heat your cooking apparatus to 190*F, pop 2 egg whites into the radiator, stir vigorously with the help of the water pump at a speed of 3,000 to 4,000 RPMs, maintain a minimum temperature of 190*F (combustion on for improved heating and reduced cooking times) and let cook for 5 minutes (10 if you like your eggs well done), after the eggs whites have been thoroughly cooked inspect your new leak free radiator and enjoy your favorite "insert favorite drink here" and watch the sun set behind the Alps. No really it did work, the crimp holding the top tank (and I bet bottom too) was just oh so slightly leaking (could see air bubbles coming out while running and had water still on top) and there are a few core tubes that were wet before but now there is no steam escaping. Mind you this is only done because I need the car tomorrow, I HOPE I can snag a radiator even if used and throw in the car, if not I hope the 323 likes eggs.

Now on to the part where I almost didn't have my test drive, went to move the car and the rear brakes were frozen, couldn't even get the car out since I was on fine gravel and the fronts wanted to dig in. Had my friend slam a sledge on the rims (winter steelies) while I was rocking the car, got the RR to pop free but the LR didn't BUT it was able to move out of its spot to the driveway, repeated the oh so delicate operation on the other wheel and it eventually popped free. How does a car that sat since February and not moved once drive? Absolutely WONDERFUL!! OK no not really, it was a horrid terrifying drive, the tires were flat spotted like an old bias-ply, the brakes worked fine performance wise but were crunchy sounding and it felt like I had an ABS system in the car when stopping...........I don't have ABS. I think the brakes are just rusted right now and will wear off the next day or two, it stops in a straight line still and I can lock up all 4 so all the brakes work fine for now. Well its paper time, lets see how the car does

Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 AM

I suppose you operate off the owner's manual for a Model T!

Where is the world coming to: egg in the radiator , ethanol in the gas tank. Both suppose to go through the gastro-intestinal tract, in moderation of course!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Glad to hear this! you must feel like yodeling!

Your miss may have to do with the EGR system or a small vacuum leak..

Servus!
Tan
Ok I looked today and for the life of me there is NO EGR system on this car, I even looked at the used intake that came with the used head and there is no EGR valve at all, there is not even a pipe coming off of the exhaust anywhere. I did find a tiny vac leak and fixed that, the hesitation is gone now but it still has a tiny misfire when cold for the first minute or so.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
I suppose you operate off the owner's manual for a Model T!

Where is the world coming to: egg in the radiator , ethanol in the gas tank. Both suppose to go through the gastro-intestinal tract, in moderation of course!
ROFLOL, I like that :P They did use methanol in the Model T's IIRC for coolant at one time as well

Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Ok I looked today and for the life of me there is NO EGR system on this car, I even looked at the used intake that came with the used head and there is no EGR valve at all, there is not even a pipe coming off of the exhaust anywhere. I did find a tiny vac leak and fixed that, the hesitation is gone now but it still has a tiny misfire when cold for the first minute or so.
That means you have one problem less. I think they did not put an EGR system because they were able to meet Euro-spec NOx emission standards without it.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Well I figured it out, the one rocker for both exhaust valves on cylinder #3 was too loose (0.5mm, spec is 0.3mm) and wouldnt open the exhaust enough until it warmed up I think, I adjusted all the rockers to specs and it runs good now, maybe this is why the donor car was put to pasture? Who knows, all I know is it runs good now Even beat the 3 in a little impromptu race with my friend.