Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Looking at buying an 86 323 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Default Looking at buying an 86 323 hatch

I searched about some, but most 323 related threads have either very few, or no responses, and I couldn't find a single "what should I look at?" thread, so I figured I would post my own. I AM car-savvy, I consider myself a gifted shadetree. I am also forum-savvy, so I will try to keep this brief.

The car is being sold by a mechanic who did some brake work to the car. He says its an auto, it is FI but he is unsure what engine is in it. He says one axle is beginning to click, and the stereo doesnt turn on (but it does light up with the panel illumination. Other than that she says there aren't really any problems with the car, and he wants $475. 105K on the odometer.

Never owned a Mazda myself before, but my brother used to autocross the heck out of his Miata, and my old man was one of the first shadetree rotary mechanics in the country (brand new 1973 RX-2 I *believe.*) I am more of a Datsun man, but Mazda nd Subaru are my two next favorite brands.

What am I getting into? Anyone have any links for me?

The big question is, will a standard DIN size stereo fit into this car somewhat easily? I know alot of mid 80s Japanese compact cars have correspondingly compact stereos, and I was curous if this 323 was going to do me like that.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Looking at buying an 86 323 hatch

WOW!!! Lots of questions.I will try to answer them in the order in which they are familiar to me....
Yes, a single DIN should fit.
I think they were using the 1.6L in "86, but not sure which one, hp, torque, etc.
Axle click as I"m sure you already know means CV/axle time.

Iknow these to have been very fun cars (w/the 5-sp,) in their day.I know nothing about the autos of the time. I"m not sure I would trust a 22 yr old auto-matic though.
Of course, these are basic transportation, especially by today"s standards. Not a lot of insulation or safety equipment.
Of this era, 323"sare prone to rust, especially if they lived in the rust belt, and one that is that old, I"d be looking at anywhere sheet metal comes in contact w/other sheet metal. I"d be taking a magnet for the ole" magnet to metal test, if I wuz U.
You may have trouble locating new wheels, as I think they were still using a 4-110 bolt pattern.

Now a question or two for you:
Why are you even after a 22 yr old, econobox w/an automatic trans?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 PM

Spoken like a man with a thicker wallet than I!

Because I am broke and need wheels in which to deliver my pizza for to make some cash.

Besides, I like older cars; simple, easy to work on, plenty of experience out there to glean off of (if I can find it)

My take on automobiles is that I would far rather find a chassis with the proper layout somewhere, (RWD that is ) and install one of my tried-and-true Datsun motors that I and my family have a bajillion parts for, megasquirt the bugger, and build my OWN car to my OWN standards.

Not that I would be doing this with the mazda, but generally speaking I am the type who prefers to rebuild stuff rather than buying new stuff.

Rust I know all about.. any particular problem spots that aren't obvious? Frame rails, battery tray, key stressed suspension points, rockers and wheel wells are obvious, I was wondering about any hidden water traps etc.

EDIT You mentioned that the lug pattern on this car was 4x110 mm, and you got my hopes up. The first gen RX7 alloy four spoke wheels with the word MADA engraved on one spoke have ALWAYS been one of my favorite OE wheels of any manufacturer ever. I googled RX7 lug pattern and found this page:http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse...._Reference.cfm

They say that the RX7 whose wheels I covet were 4x110, but they ALSO list this BF323 as being 4x114.3mm.. how sure are you of your information? END EDIT

Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

No insult intended.
Oh, I doubt my wallet is that much bigger. I am probably older, yes, and have a full time job, but also bigger expenses.And like many many people, my salary has not even come close to meeting inflation for a number of years now. In fact when it comes to playing with cars I am in the same financial position now than I was in my 20"s. My "04 HB is the first car I ever purchased new... and I was 47 @ the time. I know all about making the best of what you can afford to buy, believe me.
And with the exception of my very first car, a "57 Chevy, have always driven econoboxes, so don"t be offended by that comment either.I meant nothing by using it.
My question(s) were based on a (mistaken) feeling that you intended to turn this car into a drag or other weekend warrior.These days most would not consider turning a car this old into a DD. And any car that old is liable to nickel and dime you to death. Finding parts, especially upgrade parts for it is liable to be a chore also. After all,an "86 323 is hardly a classic that wouldoffer a lot of aftermarket, and certainly no dealersupport.

I am not that sure of my lug pattern facts. It would be very wise to do further research before purchasing new wheels for the bugger. But somewhere between "85 & "87Mazdadid switch toa 4x 114.3 pattern. As you noted, the2nd Gen RX"s ("86&gt had the new bolt pattern, while the first gen went w/the 110mm.

I would certainly and specifically be concerned about the rear wheel arches, the bottoms of the door skins and quarter panels behind them. Make sure the drain holes are and have been openand that there are no weak spots in the metal in these areas.
Of course the frame/chassis/sub-frames should be closely inspected too...on a lift if at all possible.
What part of the country is the car located in?
*edit* Ah, never mind. I guess the car is in Florida?If it"s lived there all it"s life and hasn"t been to (or lived at) the beach it should be in pretty good conditionthen.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 AM

Sometimes clicking is nothing more than the wheel covers moving. That's how it is on my 323. It would be a good idea to start a list for the total cost of the car including all the things you need to do to get the car street legal and reliable.The resonator and muffler are prone to rusting out, that's about $150 right there.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:20 AM

No real offense taken, especially not after an apology. It WAS a little awkward reading it, but I took it in stride

Truth of the matter is, the vast majority of newer cars I care nothing for, so I dont pay much attention to age when looking at a ride.

Going to check it out now.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Good Luck, Man!! And certainly post the results when you know.
Oh, and I didn"t actually apologize, butperhaps I should have. Sorry forthe poorchoice of words on my part.
I sometimes forget that not everybody knows me like the regular members here do and my way of wording things.