Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

The good old idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Default The good old idle problem

By scrolling through Mazda forums, I have come to the conclusion that 626 / MX-6 / Probe have many many carburation problems.

So to be among the crowd I'll expose mine. I bought recently a '94 626 2.0l auto as a winter car. The car is in really good shape with only 130,000 km (75,000 mi).

I'm living in Qc, Canada and since the coming of winter, the car idle became erratic. When I first start the car, everything is normal, it runs on choke and has a steady high idle. When I put it ingear and start moving, again normal. If I remove my foot from the accelerator (like if I'm approching to a stop) , it has problem keeping the engine in the 600-750 zone and often simply stall. If I put it in neutral, it start back at the first turn of the ignition key. It might do that for the first 5 miles and as soon as the engine is warming up a bit, it runs flawlessly after that.

I suspected an erratic IAC valve and as a test I kept the car it the garage during the night to see if it would change anything. Not really it still has problem keeping the rpm within the 600-750 zone. Another nothing point, the problem doesn't occur if theoutside température is above the 0 C or 30F.

Since I'm not an expert in that field, I'm asking other members if they ever experience a similar problem and what would be the cause.

Thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Default RE: The good old idle problem

Hi... I have the identical problem you are experiencing. It started this winter... the only mod i did is in december i have fitted in a KN performance filter..I am considereing maybe the increased flow of air maybe affecting the idle rpm... guess there is no way of adjusting idle rpm mechanicaly, since it is a fuel injected engine... B6E 1.6 8v... It is really a drag when parking, because of the powered steering also affecting the rpm.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 PM

I've also been having problems with my idle. From cold it goes fine for a minute or so, then it starts missing and idling too low. I took it to the Mazda dealer and they replaced the spark plugs, which made NO DIFFERENCE.[:'(] I decided to have a crack at finding the fault myself and found the intake manifold to be leaking around the gasket. I found it because I could hear a slight hissing noise from around the intake manifold. so I sprayed CRC aroundthe manifold gasket and when i sprayed over the leak the idle temporarily improved. BINGO. Now I just need to decide whether I can be bothered replacing the gasket myself or taking it to a mechanic.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:17 AM

hmmm... i guess that maybe it could have started to leak somewhere, because i think that the air filter was only once changed, and it was quite a job to unscrew the bolts holding the assembly... i will check, maybe tighten the rivets a bit... thanks!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM

nah... didn't have the nerves... just took the good old screwdriver and adjusted the idle manually... now everything is fine[8D]