New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

New member, old Mazda - Old school Mazdaspeed inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM
JSE
Default New member, old Mazda - Old school Mazdaspeed inside

Hey everyone!

My name is Jesse, I'm a San Diego resident, I love GD chassis Mazdas.

This is the one I'm working on the most right now:

I've been slowly putting it together over the last nine months to compete in a San Diego racing series, Formula B.

http://formulabuild.com

The gist of it is that you compete in one show, three autocrosses, and three drag races over the summer racing season. The twist is that the car has to be purchased and built for $2000 or less, and everything has to be documented. Some things like tires, fluids, and paint (if you do it yourself) don't count.

Mods so far are:

2.5" turbo-back exhaust
Tokico Illuminas
Vogtland springs
Front/rear strut tower bars
Mazda 929 wheels
Water to air intercooler w/5 gallon reservoir

The folks at CorkSport have been incredibly helpful in guiding me down the best zoom per dollar path. Highly recommend doing business with them should you have the opportunity.

Here's the intercooler setup, please pardon the messy bay and trunk, I haven't gotten to clean everything up since the install. A lot had to be shuffled around under the hood to make room for the IC core.

And bonus shot of my other 89 GT, which I'll get to work on when I finish this one up in the next couple of weeks.

Also own a DSM (red one in the foreground), but it is boring and stock, and not a Mazda

Anyway, looking forward to being a part of the community!

Last edited by JSE; 10-27-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

Hey JSE!!! I LOVE that somebody still has Voo-Voo for the first gen MX6's!! I also happen to like the GE too, but have to admit to never actually driving one.

The orange car looks GREAT!! There is just something about that body that, to me at least, never gets old.
I was shopping for a used first gen MX6 myself about 15yrs ago and drove a number of 626's and Probes as well. Of the 3 cars, the MX felt the best to me, but I could not make a deal at that time.

I do know somebody (from another forum) that has a heavily modded GE chassis.
I don't even know if its still streetable as he may have gone full tilt with it by now. I don't think he had been using it to bring groceries home anyway, not for some time at least.

Anyways, please keep us informed and post more pics as the build progresses. And if we can be of any help please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 AM
JSE

Originally Posted by virgin1

Hey JSE!!! I LOVE that somebody still has Voo-Voo for the first gen MX6's!! I also happen to like the GE too, but have to admit to never actually driving one.

The orange car looks GREAT!! There is just something about that body that, to me at least, never gets old.
I was shopping for a used first gen MX6 myself about 15yrs ago and drove a number of 626's and Probes as well. Of the 3 cars, the MX felt the best to me, but I could not make a deal at that time.

I do know somebody (from another forum) that has a heavily modded GE chassis.
I don't even know if its still streetable as he may have gone full tilt with it by now. I don't think he had been using it to bring groceries home anyway, not for some time at least.

Anyways, please keep us informed and post more pics as the build progresses. And if we can be of any help please don't hesitate to ask.

Glad there are other folks out there who even recognize the car

It's actually red, white balance seems off in the photo, making it look orange.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Well, maybe spicy orange mica would be a good look for that car??

Around 1996, I had my eye on a white/blue MX6. 5-speed of course, w/sunroof. I was in love w/that car but I just couldn't make the deal. I felt they wanted too much and I couldn't get them down. I guess I lost my poker-face and they thought they had me, but that didn't help in the end.

It looked EXACTLY like this LX I found on the web, even had the spoiler:

Though it could've used more power (most street car can,) I really loved the way the car looked and shifted, how it felt so light and handled so well. Even the numerous 626's I drove didn't have that same feel, and the Probes just felt HEAVY/clumsy.

I even drove a coupla' turbos, but again, no deal, and both of them were blue/blue, no roof and a lot of miles. I had no good place to work on cars then so I passed on both.

Last edited by virgin1; 10-31-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe I'm getting all nostalgic here, but you have got me to thinking (as if I really had the time or money) of doing a first gen project car.

Are performance parts still available for these cars? Forged internals, LSDs, sway bars, shocks/struts, etc?
Has anyone done an MSP/MS3 drive train (or any other) swap in a 6 series car?
That might be a very cool street, or even track car. A 300hp MX6 from the early 90's that also handles and drives well, AND is comfortable too could surprise a few people. It could be a real sleeper if done correctly.