Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

MAZDASPEED 3 A GOOD CAR FOR A 19 YEAR OLD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Default MAZDASPEED 3 A GOOD CAR FOR A 19 YEAR OLD?

I am the dad and currently shopping;
is this a good car for a 19 year old?
ifso, we are looking athe GT model;
get the '08 or '09?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: MAZDASPEED 3 A GOOD CAR FOR A 19 YEAR OLD?

Let me first say that unlike many people on the forums I don't particularly have a problem with parents buying cars for their children..... I do have a problem with children who don't respect what they've been given, or who demand particulars when they're already being given a car. Whether or not the MS3 is appropriate for a 19 yo depends entirely on the child. The MS3 is a lot of car for someone who may not have A) much driving experience/unsure of their driving limitations, or B) a complete lack of respect for the vehicle itself. Now if you have a very responsible child who is a good driver then perhaps it would be okay. I would personally probably aim more towards a regular Mz3 just because for the most part a driver with less experience really doesn't need to be playing around with nearly 300 HP. The 3 is very fun to drive and I can imagine most people getting a little spirited with driving (me included) even with a regular 3.

Is this your kid's first car? What else have they driven? Are they putting anything into it (payments, insurance, etc.)?

Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

There are many, MANY teenagers that are not ready for a turbocharged rocket ship like the MS3, BUT should your child be an exception, had professional driver's training, and/or been auto crossing for several years, he/she just might have enough respect and understand the mechanicals as well as the responsibilities that go along w/such a powerful car. Remember please that it's a scientific fact that judgment is still developing @ that age in most people and that it isn't fully developed until 25+/-. Remember how this person was as a younger teenager, then ask yourself if you want to be on the road while that person was next or behind you.
Overall though I'd say save a few bucks and possibly your child's life by getting a lesser vehicle until they've grown up a bit. Spend the extra money to send them to a Bondurant school (or equivalent) of HP driving. Insurance should be a lot cheaper too.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
VB

Now that the old guys have said a bit, I'll give you a perspective from a (soon to be) 19 year old:

No. Don't buy him the MS3. I remember how I was when I first started driving...and my first car was a Corolla. No kid should be driving around with a MS3, unless they have real driving experience. The regular M3 would be a much better idea, IMO.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 PM

I remember driving like an idiot in my 84 Cavalier hatchback, and my parents had a Camaro that I regularly took over 100 mph.....and I was a pretty good kid.

I wouldn't recommend that car for anyone that young.

Something like that is better saved for once they've established themselves and can earn the money to pay for it ontheir own....That way they appreciate the investment and work it took to get such a nice vehicle and will be less likely to drive irresponsibly.

Just my 0.02

Old 09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: VB
Now that the old guys have said a bit, I'll give you a perspective from a (soon to be) 19 year old:
ORIGINAL: sstlaure
I remember driving like an idiot in my 84 Cavalier hatchback, and my parents had a Camaro that I regularly took over 100 mph.....and I was a pretty good kid.

I wouldn't recommend that car for anyone that young.

Something like that is better saved for once they've established themselves and can earn the money to pay for it ontheir own....That way they appreciate the investment and work it took to get such a nice vehicle and will be less likely to drive irresponsibly.

Just my 0.02
In the first place, I don't think my post was any ringing endorsement VB, just open minded. But I agree with what you andsst have to say.
I was a pretty good kid too Scott, but to this day my mother doesn't know how I treated here '72 Plymouth Scamp (318ci, 2bbl, auto) when she wasn't around. Though I hated that car.
And my first car, a '57 Chevy 210- 2 dr, got wrecked in the first 6 months I had my license. It was a very slow speed accident and neither I, normy 3 other passengers in the car were hurt.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 AM

short answer, yes with an if. long answer, no with a but.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 AM

I agree with the above.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: we01524
I am the dad and currently shopping;
is this a good car for a 19 year old?
ifso, we are looking athe GT model;
get the '08 or '09?
Won't you be my daddy?

I just purchased a Speed 3 '09 last weekend. I would have liked the MS3GT but my engineer salary has bills to pay. [stupid school loans]. I'm going to have to say I'd opt for the regular 3 because it is a lot of torque in the car. And it takes 91 premium and the insurance is twice what it was for my GTI VR6. Unless your floating that part of his bill he will be working just to keep gas in his car.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Though he's probably younger than I am, I'll second that!!

Quick Reply: MAZDASPEED 3 A GOOD CAR FOR A 19 YEAR OLD?