Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Gas Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Default Gas Problem

I have been driving around for months noticing tht my gas mileage is horrible. i have to fill up about every week because of itand its burning a whole in my pocket especially with the rising gas prices. i tried putting complete fuel system cleaner in my gas tank but it didnt really do anything. and also some stuff called like gas improver. i also changed my air intake filter and tht also didnt do anything. no gas leak anywhere i looked. anyone no any thing that could help me. i can only drive about 125 miles on a full tank of gas and its killing me. i rarely floor it and dont drive at high speeds. anyone know anything thats wrong or i could do? thanks

Old 03-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Default RE: Gas Problem

WHAT TYPE OF CAR DO YOU HAVE, YEAR , MAKE AND MODEL, ALSO IS IT A STICK OR AUTO? I CAN TRY TO LEND SOME ADVICE FROM SIMILAR SITIATION ONC I KNOW THIS INFO.

CUGENE

Old 03-26-2007, 11:21 PM

wow lol that would probably help.
i have a 1998 Mazda 626 lx 2.0l i4
116624 miles. Automatic

Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 PM

SORRY I JUST NOTICED ANOTHER POST OF YOURS, AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A 98 626, I HAVE A 94 AND I FOUND THAT THE ROUGHER THE CAR RUNS THE WORSE THE GAS MILAGE IS, I HAD A PROBLEM FOR AWHILE WITH A HIGH IDLE AND I HAD THAT ADJUSTED, AND ALSO A FULL TUNE UP MAY HELP. I HAVE EVEN HAD PROBLEMS WITH POOR GAS MILAGE WHEN I HAD SOME EXHAUST PROBLEMS LIKE A BAD CONVERTER BUT THAT WAS ON A HONDA. HOW DOES THE CAR RUN DOES IT RUN ROUGH? DOES IT RUN HOT? ALSO IF IT IS A STICK I KNOW YOU GET HORRIBLE GAS MILAGE IF YOUR NOT ON THE HIGHWAY(LIKE CITY DRIVING FROM STOP SIGN TO STOPSIGN) AND IF YOU DONT SHIFT CORRECTLY OR EXACTLY THE WAY THEY EXPECT YOU TO ACCORDING TO THE RPMS. I AM NO EXPERT SO I AM NOT SURE IF YOU HAVE AN INTERNAL PROBLEM, BUT I AM PRETTY SURE A FULL TUNE UP WOULD HELP A LITTLE WITH THE GAS MILAGE CAUSE IT COULD BE A COMBINATION OF THINGS CAUSING THAT PROBLEM,SO THE TUNE UP MAY BE A GOOD START. I FIGURED I WOULD TRY TO LEND A HAND CAUSE I AM ALWAYS GETTING HELP ON HERE FROM ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW ALOT ABOUT MAZDAS. I AM HAVING PROBLEMS NOW WITH GAS TANK CLOGGING AND FUEL FILTER , I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I GET BETTER MILAGE AFTER FUEL FILTER IS CHANGED MAYBE THAT MIGHT HELP AS WELL.

JUST TRYING TO LEND A SUPPORTIVE LISTENING EAR, IF I THINK OR HEAR OF ANYTHING ELSE I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

BEST OF LUCK
CUGENE

Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 PM

HEY ERIC YOU MUST OF BEEN POSTING WHEN I WAS , I JUST SAW YOUR REPLY THAT YOUR CAR IS AN AUTOMATIC, WELL THAT RULES OUT SHIFTING MANUALLY. ILL STAY IN TOUCH

PEACE
CUGENE

Old 03-27-2007, 01:11 AM

lol MUST YOU ALWAYS YELL ??

Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 AM

Without knowing too much about your car I can only hazard a few guesses...

Poor gas mileage implies something is wrong...

Here are some possibilities (and they're generic, so you might need someone else to give you details... This is just a list of things you might want to look into.)

Basically you're using fuel too fast, so there are several possibilities... If you can pull a diagnostic code you might actually have something useful even though none of the telltale lights have come on.

1) You're dumping too much fuel into the engine and it's not burning properly. Have you looked at the exhaust after the engine is warmed up? Do you see sooty deposits on the exhaust, or smoke while it's running? Do you smell unburned fuel? That would imply the air flow is not good enough, You say you've replaced the air filter, is there any obvious obstruction in the intake? It could also be too high a fuel pressure perhaps the fuel pump is faulty?

2) It's also possible that it thinks more air is flowing than really is, perhaps there is something wrong with your Oxygen sensor. Have you checked the PCV valve for proper operation?

3) Does it sound like the car is revving higher than it should? You might not be able to tell (unless you have a tachometer) but if the idle is too high it will be guzzling gas when it's doing nothing. It might also be a transmission issue, have you checked the transmission fluid level? When did you last have it overhauled? It might be that the bands need tightening.

4) Have you modified your exhaust system at all? In some cars there are restrictive parts (intentionally) in the exhaust system that stop it dumping the exhaust too fast. It reduces the power of the engine, and increases the gas mileage. The VW Fox for example has a restrictive washer in the exhaust, you lose about 10 miles per gallon by removing it but increase the power of the engine dramatically.

I know that gives you a lot of things to check and I'm sure it's not exhaustive, but it gives you some ideas of what to look at.

I hope that this helps,

Z.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 PM

yes I guess I must yell when i am trying to be more of a participant on this site than a person always asking for help, maybe you should yell more instead of lol'ing , and make more sense, or is that just a type of canadian humor , kinda like your moneylollol.

cugene

Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 AM

Haha well if u knew anything... Then you would know that there isnt a major difference in our money anymore! Plus if you were educated at all then you understand that not only is it rather annoying to read paraghraphs written in caps its just a very twelve years old thing to do! So instead of bashing Canadians and writeing everything in caps maybe you should educate yourself and come up with something better then pokeing fun at the Canadian economy... Besides its rather broad to list it as Canadian humor as if everyone in Canada finds the same things funny haha!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:44 AM

As I said in another post I just found it to be rather quite odd that someone of your status on here would take the time to point out that I had left my caps lock on (by mistake and did not notice), instead of maybe trying to help the person posting there question. And your right my education is not Mazda repair its in another area of helping people in a certain field of law enforcement(but I am currently laid off which is why I 've been pleading for tech help) which would have been much more appreciated from you besides the insult. So I guess your right, I can take the time to get more educated in Canadian life(which you were right I have none in this specific area), unless your taking about cold air blowing down on us or A REAL UNOFFICIAL MOUNTY CROSSING THE BORDERlol,whoops I MEAN MAZDA MAN LIKE YOUlol, who is an authority on twevle year old behavior, so I guess TOUCHE' and whatever you say chief, hats off to ya , your the man on here not some uneducated guy as I(as u can see i had to edit as well cause i can't spell).

And by the way I was not bashing, where I come from you "get what you give", and you were quick to take a stab at an innocent person or human mistake for that matter,and you got a little sarcastic and seemingly intentionally insulting with your humor. So my apologies for being uneducated at that point, but I don't take kindly to unnecessary blows below the belt, to anyone.
Cheers and,
PEACE BE WITH YOU AND THE CANADIANS