Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

fans not working, car overheats!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Default fans not working, car overheats!

I have an 01 mazda 626 4cyl auto

A while back my car started to overheat we found out it was the radiator fan, as a temporary solution, a friend wired it to turn on when the car turned on. It didn't overheat again and still works this way. Now, the car is starting to overheat again. It only does this at stops or in traffic, and as soon as I start to drive the temperature goes back down. The radiator fan still turns on with the car, I've checked this several times. BUT now the other fan doesn't turn on at all. I've tried it with the a/c on since I read it should turn on right away, and nada. I hooked it up the same way as the other fan and it comes on so the fan isn't bad but I don't want to have two fans constantly running like that. What could be the problem here? Fuses? Relays? Which ones are which?? I know its two seperate problems and I would like to fix both and not have either one rigged to stay on.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM

Hi Kristine, This advise comes assuming that there is a no broken wires in any of the wiring associated with the fans, or dirty connectors.
There is a thermal sensor at the end of the where the wire from the fans used to go screwed into probably thermostat housing. This regulates the turning off/on of the fan/fans. More often than not all that is necessary is to unscrew sensor and clean it, (emery paper, make the brass shine). If this does not work replace the sensor.

Regards Chrispen