Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Distributor to DI swap, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Question Distributor to DI swap, possible?

Greetings all! I have never posted here before. My name is Matt Bourguignon, I just turned 21 and I live in Daytona Beach. I'm ASE certified in Engine, Electrical and Steering/Susp. I worked in the industry for two years twisting wrenches and couldn't stand it, plus I hated having to work on my own stuff in my spare time, so I got out of it. Currently I'm looking for a job working in service management (I have experience) or service advising. I just finished my AA degree for transfer and am taking the semester off before pursuing my BS in psych/counseling. I ride a 1998 Ninja EX250 as my primary vehicle and I've ridden it to Maine and back. My cage, the Mazda is my passengers/rainy day/Friday night machine. Anyway, that's who I am and what I do, now onto the car.

My Mazda 626 is a year 2000 with the 4 cyl and the ATX. It rides great and handles great just wish it weren't so darn sluggish. Yesterday my engine literally exploded on the way home. Witnesses behind my car when it happened thought I had a tire blowout. The #1 rod wiped out and tried to launch itself to freedom. It almost succeeded, punching multiple holes in the front of the block and knocking a 10 cubic inch chunk out of the back. I actually did a writeup/photographic essay on the Ninja250.org forums, here is the link:
http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?p=815780#815780
There are several photos of the damage, some from inside the motor itself, as well as a more detailed account of what happened. Feel free to peruse. Needless to say, I need a new motor.

In response to that post at Ninja250.org one of the members actually informed me that he has a 1996 Mazda 626 with a motor that is in good shape, but it's a distributor motor. Therein lies the problem because my engine is a distributorless model. I have no idea if the distributor engine can be used in my DI 626. That's why I am here. Ideally I would be able to remove the distributor from the 1996 motor and swap my DI ignition pack onto it, is this possible? If this is not possible, what would I need to put the distributor motor into my 2000 as is? I assume I would need, in addition to the engine, the engine wiring harness and ECU from the 1996 car. That wouldn't be too big a deal since, if I use his motor, I'll be taking the whole car off his hands.

I appreciate any helpful feedback and thank you in advance! God bless,
-Matt B