Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

abused 1991 Mazda 323 stalled

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Default abused 1991 Mazda 323 stalled

and wont start now.
i was driving to los lunas at 55mph, when i heard the RPM's drop and started losing speed. i attempted to kickstart her as i slowed down(she is a manual) and each time i did so, she would run for a few seconds and then die again.

i had a similar issue(running for a few seconds and then dieing) a few months ago and had to replace the fuel pump, and so i immediately checked the relay(brand new fuel pump after all) to find that it was not switching.

i pulled the relay and awaited my roommates . . . and then thought to plug it back in, at which point the relay switched over, but i thought to test it a few times. the relay was switching intermitently.

i have had a few issues with this vehicle recently, and have been working very hard trying to keep her going as shes my first, so any help at all would be more than appreciated =^_^=

ps - i dont know how to set my signature, so ill put it here
1991 Mazda 323 Base
2nd owner(1st was abusive)
mostly still stock(literally from the factory >.>)
very reliabele car till now

Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 PM

hi Daisho. Welcome to the forum!

With a vehicle this old you may want to check the electrical system. I would check the battery and the charging system. You can take th battery to a parts store and they will check it out for you.
I would go through all electrical connectors, pull them apart, clean if necessary and re-connect them. Look for any grounding wires, remove and clean them, use some Di-electric grease and tighten them again.
Also get another relay (junk yard). Maybe your new one is not of the best quality.

Also go to the Protege forum and look for the "unofficial user's guide". The 323 is the precursor to the Protege. Most of the things I put down there will apply to your car as well.

For your signature go to User CP. CP=Control Panel, on the left side click
"edit signature".

I used to have an '86 323 and I like Mazda ever since.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 AM

welp, actually what i replaced was the fuel pump core itself(and the sock of course).
as for the electrical system, the alternator and battery are mish(all tested/rebuilt) i know for a fact there are 2 shorts in the car(kink cabled seatbelt and brake switch) but have since removed the fuses for the time being and found alternatives(seatbelt is frozen in closed position, and installed LED brake lights on a switch for now).
as for further electrical problems, the battery isnt draining at all and she continues to crank just fine. i have pulled the relay atm, and am trying to get enough money to hit up u-pull-&-pay. i do not have a voltmeter or i would test it as such, but it was switching intermittently and i feel that this may be the problem this time. my biggest concern is that im starting to have thoughts of scrapping her(my 2st car ) rather than dealing with all these little fixes when i have no income >.>

anywho, i will double check all the engine connections(again) when i return to her with the new relay, and hopefully she will start at that point as she is sitting out in front of some guys farm atm O.o

Old 10-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Daisho: Voltmeters are very cheap at Harbour Freight.

See if the relasy in your first car would fit the 323 and try it out. If the 323 is running right and cleaned up you can sell her for more than scrap value.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM

It won't kick the fuel pump unless it see's spark, except for 3 seconds when you first turn the key on to run for prime. That particular model had a bad habit of eating fuel pumps when the fuel pressure regulators went bad. It stays at high pressure and causes the one way valve in the pump to stick and burn the pump up because it gets harder and harder for the pump to overcome the excess residual pressure. If the wires on the pump look overheated then replace the pump and regulator. The igniters in the distributor are also a common problem as well as the coil.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 AM

do you think that could be the reason that she runs rich? since the day i got her, shes been burning very fuel heavy(even though im pushing 77mpg O.o)

when i got her, it was "if you can start it, you can have it". she had been dead(starter) for a bit over a year with horrible oil in her, and i had to get her to 20mph to popstart her.

im pretty sure she had stuck rings, and have run slick 50(for lack of both money and more intel) when im able. however my emissions are very fuel rich and ive been trying to figure out what could cause that.

i have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, PCV valve, and spark plugs(for various reasons) but being fairly broke i have not been able to maintain her as well as id like, beyond properly changing her oil and filters when i need to. i have taken the relay to autozone and had it tested, it did test weak so i will procure a new/used one to replace it, but of course, im still worried what the next problem may be, as im sure there will be one with how badly her previous owner treated her.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:42 AM

It is due for a new coil no doubt. To check the fuel pressure regulator you should use a pressure tester but try removing the vacuum hose to it and see if the idle changes. If you see raw fuel in the vacuum hose it is a bad regulator. If there is no change in idle then the regulator is likely bad. Check the rubber intake boot from the aircleaner to the throttlebody for cracks. It should be perfectly sealed. The best spark plug for that car is a G-power NGK platinum plug. $3.00 each. They are good for 100k miles.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:44 AM

sadly it seems i made my account too little too late.
after she died on Tuesday i was unable to get to her until thursday afternoon, only to find out that the property owner had her towed literally an hour eariler >.>

sadly, i have absolutely no money or income for that matter, and as such i have no way of getting her out of the tow yard, so barring an absolute miracle or an oldschool attitude from the towyard owner, my hopes for getting her back are slim to zero.

thank you all for the help offered however, you were very helpful while it lasted, and hopefully i will get another mazda if im ever able to get another car

Old 10-17-2014, 10:16 AM

If you are that broke you may find help in your community. Church organizations, etc. You may luck into someone who knows the towing company. Worth a shot.