Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

'99 626 Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 10:34 PM
Question '99 626 Suspension Questions

I've got a '99 626, 6 cylinder. I got it a year ago with 38,515 miles on it. Yes, that's right, 20 years old with under 40k original miles (<2k/yr). I can verify that because it was Dad's, & he got it new.

The worst minor issue is the AC needing repair. Mechanically it is sound & runs great. Aesthetically it's about 90%. But, being 20 years old, despite the low mileage, the suspension is very rough. The car bounces hard. I would like to replace the shocks (struts) & springs. I would also like to upgrade the sway bars & get new bushings. I've also heard about a frame cross-member that strengthens the body and minimizes stress. I'm wanting to have something of a performance upgrade for cornering (not drifting). I'm pretty good with my wrenches & wirings & just about any tool I can get my hands on. So, I'd like to ask the following ...

1) What are some sources of matched shocks/struts & springs? What are some considerations when replacing them (I'm interested in having a better feel of the road, not for comfort driving. This will be my Daily Driver around town.

2) I have done some searching for sway bars (or "anti-sway" bars), but cannot find anything other than direct replacement, which would not be any advantage for the money. But, I've also know I need to replace the bushings & would like any input on what's available & what might be better than "stock" or OEM.

3) The cross-member support. I've had someone tell me about it, but I really could not find much info available. Any input here would also be much appreciated.

4) Is there anything else I need to address regarding suspension?

5) I know I will ultimately replace the wheels & tires, getting something much more sticky. I know the outside diameter of the tire will remain the same as stock, since that's the speedometer calculation, so I don't expect I'll be lowering the suspension, tho I would LIKE to lower it a bit, if there's any available space within the wheel wells without compromising rubber against the sheet metal during full wheel-lock turns. Any thoughts on this will also be greatly appreciated.

I've got a pickup, suv, & motorcycle, and I want to be driving the 626 as often as possible.