Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

92 626, a couple of problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Red face 92 626, a couple of problems

I am a proud owner of a 1992 Mazda 626, currently with ~218k miles on it. The car has been great to me, since I did purchase it for about $500 two years ago. What a bargain, right? But that doesn't mean it didn't come without any issues.... >_>

I recently found out that one of my bulbs have burnt out (left side) and I went to go buy a new bulb for it. I mean, I had to really think about it since I'm not too car savvy but I figured it would be pretty simple. I google and found a lot of useful information, and was able to take off that plastic cap thing (sorry, the girl in me is coming out )... i know that there's this black screw that you have to unscrew before you can take out the bulb but I'm having trouble with it. What do you guys recommend me to use to help unscrew that part?? I had the SO help but he couldn't unscrew it either and we're both not car savvy. XD

I found a thread about the turning signal not working but I didn't understand a lot of the technical words that were used. My right turning signal isn't working anymore, and previous to that, it was working on and off. When it isn't working, it sounds like it's blinking twice as fast, but the inside doesn't blink, nor do the blinkers work outside. The hazard lights do work though. With today's first snowfall, I'm worried of driving the car in traffic with no right blinker as people are crazy.

I know that in that thread, it mentioned looking under the dash board where you place your left feet on the driver side... that's to how far I understood how to check if it was the wires. Any visual aid would help in this u___u

Oh, another thing I want to mention about the turning signal not working is that, could it just simply be the fuse? Or is that not how fuse works? (Sorry, I'm really a noob).

Another problem I'm having is my steering wheel. It's been about a year since this has happened but I might as well bring it up now since I'm with the experts. Well, to make a long story short, went to a gas station a year ago and go out to my car to find that fluid literally leaked out from my car. It was a reddish color (that I can remember), and the only reason I knew it was my steering wheel is that it was hard to turn. I bought the anti-leak stuff but it didn't work and it was still pretty hard to steer. A year later, it's still the same. I've tried putting fluid in it but that doesn't help either. Is there possibly a tube that could be clogged, and if so how/where would I locate this?

As far as the radiator fluid leaking, I'm assuming I just need to replace the cap? It's leaking from under the cap only.... and I think this is the reason why my washer fluid boils dry in the summer.....

I know that taking the car into the shop ... the price of fixing it would be more then the cars worth, so I'm trying to do it myself if it's not too complicated.

And, I need confirmation on this... every time I get my oil changed they ask if I want to flush my transmission fluid and my radiator fluid. I usually say no because I remember flushing it will be horrible for your car but this is only for the transmission fluid right? The car is old, and I'm not the original owner, so I'm not even sure if they've ever done it...

On the other hand, it is all right if I have the radiator fluid flushed and replaced, right?

I know, I'm sorry for such a long horrible post... :<

TL;DR:

1) Bulb went out. Having a hard time unscrewing the black thing to get to the bulb to replace (successful in removing the white plastic cap thing).

2) Turning signal not working (right side). Blinks 2x faster when not working, does not flash outside in front or rear, but hazard light works. It used to work on and off but not it just doesn't work anymore.

3) Reddish looking fluid came out from under the car then BOOM, steering wheel not working. When that happened, was recommended to use anti-leaking steering wheel fluid but didn't do anything. Tried putting in more fluid, still nothing.

4) Radiator fluid leaking (usually only in summer)... replace cap?

5) Transmission flush = bad? Radiator flush = good?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:45 PM

No one wanna help?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Parsnup
As far as the radiator fluid leaking, I'm assuming I just need to replace the cap? It's leaking from under the cap only.... and I think this is the reason why my washer fluid boils dry in the summer.....
The washer fluid system is unrelated to the radiator and cooling system. Radiator caps do wear out and are a cheap and easy thing to replace. Make sure you buy the correct model for your car. Check the rubber hose that slides onto the overflow outlet, make sure it's not cracked and is making a snug fit.

A more common problem with radiators is the top hard plastic section called the tank. Over time they crack, the cracks are difficult to see, sometimes it's a hairline crack at a mold point. If replacing the cap doesn't stop the leak, you always see a wet area near the cap and maybe the top area where the metal fins crimp onto the tank, the radiator is probably cracked and needs to be replaced. They are impossible to fix.