Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

323 Just clicks when I try to start it when hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 AM
Red face 323 Just clicks when I try to start it when hot

My 1990 Mazda 323 hatchback plays up when its warm mainly I turn the key to start it and it just clicks,I have to do this half a dozen times before it will start
I try moving it into neutral and back into park any ideas would be appreciated thanks. Its starts fine when cold.
Also one of the pop up lights goes up but not back down I have to manually wind it down??
Thank you.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM

Some suggestions:

Check the battery connections, detach them, clean them, put them back on. Same thing on the cable connection at the starter and the alternator.
Have the battery tested at the parts store.
Still doesn't work? you may need a new starter.

I used to have a 323 but I can't remember any pop up lights. Anyway: clean and lubricate the moving parts of the pop up mechanism. Clean any electrical contacts at the motor.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

It seems that ground wires/connections are an issue with these cars. I've seen it written over and over again. And a motor will take more current to operate once it's hot, though it sounds like your starter may be on it's last legs anyway.
Clean ANY/ALL ground connection to the engine and chassis. It wouldn't hurt to add one or more additional ones either.
If you live in an area that gets winter, has salt air or is just wet, this is likely the main problem you are experiencing. But as I'd suggested before, if you have an intermittent problem, such as you are describing, the motor itself is liable to be wearing out.
You could get a rebuild kit and DIY it, if you have the time and tools? A lot cheaper than buying a rebuilt unit.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 PM

next time the car is warm and the starter clicks when you hit the key, hit the starter with a hammer a couple of times then try to start it. if it starts, you know you need a new starter. not subtle, but sometimes it works. hit it on the body of the starter motor, not the solenoid.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 AM
Default Thanks

Thank you I will try a few of theses ideas. This is my car,by the way I am female

Attached Thumbnails 323 Just clicks when I try to start it when hot-20131223_141656.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM

cool kitmis! then, in a very elegant and feminine way, hit that sucker a couple of times. wear gloves so you can protect your hands. no gloves? ok, then run your fingernails over a soap bar, like if you are scratching it. that will prevent grease,oil and dirt from getting under your fingernails.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:33 AM
Default :)

Originally Posted by Juanky
cool kitmis! then, in a very elegant and feminine way, hit that sucker a couple of times. wear gloves so you can protect your hands. no gloves? ok, then run your fingernails over a soap bar, like if you are scratching it. that will prevent grease,oil and dirt from getting under your fingernails.
Thanks,Its OK I have done a lot of work on my own cars,learnt a lot from my dad. I'm used to having grease under my nails

Old 03-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Kitmis, did you ever fix this issue? I have the same problem with my son's '92 929. I am out of ideas! Thank you.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:03 AM
Default mazda 323 clicks wont start..

Originally Posted by nelaco
Kitmis, did you ever fix this issue? I have the same problem with my son's '92 929. I am out of ideas! Thank you.
Yes it now starts every time,my dad took the plastic cover around steering wheel off and took the key barrel out and put scewdriver in it wiggled it a bit,I think that must of done something,he said they wear it wasn't the starter motor as it was like new,he also connected a wire from starter to near my battery so I can start it that way if I ever have to. It has been starting fine since he done it 2 weeks ago. Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 AM

Wow, that was one of the first things I replaced. I'll take a look at the old one and see if I find any wear on it. Maybe the new one is of poor quality. Thank you for your help. Glad you were able to fix yours!