Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

2002 Mazda 626 Instrument Gauges

Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Default 2002 Mazda 626 Instrument Gauges

I am looking for some assistance in diagnosing the problem with my temperature, speedometer, fuel, and rpm gauges. Last week they stopped working. I checked the fuses and replaced the fuse pertaining to the meter in the fuse box. I also spent $60 for someone to tell me that my fuess are ok. The diagnose that they stated is that it can be between the harness or the instrument cluster. I will like to know if there is something else that I can check and do I need to replace the instrument cluster. The other lights on the panel is working such as the seatbelt light, the rear defrost led, and whenever I start up everything else seems to be as usual. Please help before I spend several hundreds of dollars to replace this cluster.

Thanks,

Daryl

Old 02-08-2007, 03:24 AM
Default RE: 2002 Mazda 626 Instrument Gauges

Hi pearsode and welcome to our little forum group. Let me ask you a few questions in return. Was the METER fuse blown or was just replaced 'because might be the problem". Are all of the normal warning lights operational when starting or are some missing? The reason I ask is because there are some other fuses and ground points that should definitely be looked at and addressed before just jumping at replacing an instrument cluster as an initial repair attempt. You need totake a closer look at the problems you are having before spending the money to replace the instrument cluster or repair some phantom wire harness issue. The more info you can provide into what is working and not now as compared to before this all happened will help greatly.No worries, there might be a simple solution and often is.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks for your reply. All of the other lights seem operational when I start up the vehicle. The first diagnose was to check the fuses both under the hood and near my left leg in the car on the driver side. I have replaced the fuse just in case that was the problem, but the fuses was good. I don't know if there is other fuses that need to be replace. Please let me know.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 PM

The only two fuses that would really be supplying power to the instrument cluster would be the 10 Amp METER fuse and the 15 Amp ROOM fuse. Need to knownot only ifthe fuses are good but if voltage is present and thru the fuse as well. If you do not have a test light to check this then just look to see if some other components are operating normally that are also supplied power thru these two fuses.
If your back-up lights work and the rear window defroster grid gets warm with switch on then the METER fuse circuit is ok.
If your dome lights, trunk light, and factory keyless remotes work then the ROOM fuse circuit is ok.
If this all checks out then you need to take a look at the ground points for the instrument cluster. The main ground wire is on the engine near the ignition coil.. Should be a round eyelet bolted directly to engine with two wires there, one black w/ orange stripe and other black w/ blue stripe. This is wire colors for the 4 cylinder engine anyway. Check to make sure that this connection is clean, tight, and free of any corrrosion. Would not even hurt to remove the connection and clean with wire brush or steel wool anyway just to be sure.
If this all checks out we might want to try the cluster self test function but am reasonably sure it will fail as it is obviously not working as it should.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Thanks,

I checked everything out this past weekend and found out that the cable was loose in the back of the cluster. Lessen learn is for everyone to check the cables on the back of the cluster.

Daryl