Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

1998 626 turned off and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Default 1998 626 turned off and wont start

I have a 1998 626 4 cyc. it has 130,000 miles on it and first it turned off wheni was driving. I changed the fuel pump, spark plugs, wires and the camshaft positioning censorand it started butturned off immediately. Then i was told it was the timing belt but the timing belt was fine but thetensioner was broke so i replaced that and it started but turned off if i didnt rev the engine. i turned the idol up and it stayed on but shook bad when i wasnt moving it drove for a day then turned off at a stop sign icame back about 20 min later and it started but stalled again it will not start today. Someone please help im running out of money and ideas THANK YOU

Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Default RE: 1998 626 turned off and wont start

bump

Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Default RE: 1998 626 turned off and wont start

well.. little more infos would be helpful... to understand better..
what is your engine's rpm..??? at start,.. and when cold,.. and when warm..??? in park position,.. and when in drive position..??? this can determine the problem better...

when you say you have highered the rpm,... did you use the air intake screw,.. or the throttle cable stopper..??? it does different things... how is your iac,..?? did you clean it at all..?? and when the engine dies,... does the car shake..??due to the low rpm..??
how does it run in drive..??? the reason for asking is to pin point better with all the problems you're having...

Your car can shake bad,.. when driving,.. due to the low rpm in your engine...,.. at idle..
if you had tensioner replaced,.. when it was broken,... you could have tooth off... that will cause many problems... lack of power,.. etc..

with just the infos that you have posted,... ( lack of infos...) I would try..::
1. look into iac valve; clean it first.. ( one of the top of the throttle body,; has hex screws with tamper proof stud in the middle..i think it's t-45 with hole in the middle.)
2. clean the throttle body,..specially from inside,.. if it looks bad with gunks.. etc..but if it's not too bad,.. spraying from out side helps alot... there are some internal passages that really can gunk out,.. and block the passages.. check for gunks blocking the passages,.. and when you're at it,.. check for throttle body gasket leak.. gasket leaks can do that as well... can have cracks,.. etc.. due to the heat, abe,,,.. etc..
3.. try to balance the air input to the throttle body,.. with air idle adjustment on top of the throttle body.. taking the screw out,.. usually would to higher rpm... ( your shaking should be caused by the low rpm,... so try to higher..do couple of turns at a time,..)

Remember ... to reset the computer each time you do the work,...( by disconnecting the ground cable,.. and push the brake pedal for 30 seconds or so,.. holding it down..)

Well.. this will keep you busy for a while,... let me know how it goes...

good luck.... jc..