Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

1998 626 No Start Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Default 1998 626 No Start Please Help

Hello guys.

I've got a problem with my 98 626 dx 2.0L manual, with about 130k, it won't start.
Let me tell you something about the car first. My IAC valve is busted, i have to clean it once in a while to keep the car from stalling, once clean still not the best idle but no stall. I also have the infamous white smoke when starting problem. It burns oil, not too bad but i do have to add oil every week or sooner depends on amount of driving.

The current problem started a couple of weeks ago. The car had to turn several times before starting. After a week or so i had to press the gas when starting it for the car to start. Without the gas pedal pushed it would turn, and once you press the pedal it would turn a bit faster and finally start.

Right now it doesn't start at all. It does turn and when the gas pedal is pressed it feels like it will start but doesn't. I have started the car by pulling it with another car and it worked. It started and ran without a problem (not considering the crappy idle, which is normal). After running it for a while, the car started up again. Same symptoms though, turns turns and finally with gas pressed it started. I have attached a wav file of the starting. After standing for the night, the car does not start again. here's the link http://www.geocities.com/heryrg2711/car_start.wav

As i said the car runs once started, so i dont think its the fuel pump. I have changed the fuel filter, because it was kind of hard to blow through it. I have also checked the spark plugs and there is spark. I think the car is running rich because the plugs were black and oily looking. The fuel pump relay, i think works, it clicks when starting the car. The fuse is good also. Once the car is started i have checked the fuel injectors by putting screw driver on them, i can hear rhythmic ticking. I think it's a fuel issue just because of having to press the gas for it to start earlier.

I just checked the resistance of the fuel injectors, 14.4 ohms and voltage when the car is on is 12.4v.
I also checked the Camshaft sensor, and the resistance was 1.2 kilo-ohms, which seems a bit high. The voltage on the cam sensor when engine running is 0v. Do these values sound right?

I got the car started by pulling it. After i drove it 20min, the car started. It started with much trouble though, and i had to hold the gas for it to start.

Another quick update. I took off the hose to the fuel rail and tried to start the car to see the fuel, it flowed pretty well, i dont have a measuring device to measure pressure but im almost certain it's good pressure. So i don't think this is a fuel pump problem. I also listened to the fuel injectors when starting (with a screwdriver-to-ear method) and heard some clicking, specifically 3 clicks every couple of seconds. I'm kinda puzzled because i thought it was a fuel issue and now it doesn't seem so. Can anybody help me out?