General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vinegar smell coming from AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 05:45 AM
Default Vinegar smell coming from AC

So, it’s been a hot time here in the MidAtlantic region on the east coast of the USA, Virginia to be exact. Been running the AC a lot on my Mazda CX-9 and just started noticing, after a few rainy days, a vinegar smell coming from the AC inside when first starting up the vehicle. It goes away after a few minutes, but is pretty strong at first. Any clue what this might be and how to get rid of it? Anyone else experience this and resolve it? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2020, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Possibly mould in your AC evaporator & pollen filter. R&R pollen filter and buy yourself a aerosol Can of AC treatment.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:31 AM

You may want to change your cabin filter. I recommend that this service be done every season change or when the AC is used more then usual like summer months and naturally if the vehicle is operated in dusting or smoke filled air. Speaking of that I live in California and I am sure many of you are aware of our fires here. I am not close to them but surround geographically by them. The natural weather and wind travel tend to collect all the smoke form the firs and lately if I just pull out of my garage the car get powdered with ash. So I have cleaned my cabin filter now twice in the last 10 days.
I will spray all the vent about every 3 weeks during the summer with alcohol . While I have never read this as helping or even anyone else ever doing it. I can say it works for me!

Old 08-27-2020, 06:10 AM

Update: I have been reading on the web that changing the cabin air filter sometimes works. I just changed mine about 1500 miles ago at about $25 or so from a local auto parts store. An easy fix then as it was dirty. Guess I will try that. What about spraying Lysol in the recirculating air intake and running the air conditioning full blast on recirculate setting for a few minutes? Would that perhaps help? That and spraying all vents? Or should I buy a specific cleaner?

Old 08-27-2020, 09:45 AM

I would recommend that you use isopropyl alcohol 70/30 only when spraying directly in the vents. And to be the most effective to area you really want to spray while the fan is on high is the intake duck in the engine compartment and with the cabin filter removed. *That intake duck is a bit of work to get to because you must remove the wiper arm and the 2 piece plastic cover at the lower part of the windshield under the wiper arms. It is a well worth hours labor from start to finish. Have your shop vacuum or house vacuum on hand because you might as well clean that area while the covers are off.

The price of the cabin filter is meaningless without really know the brand and model. But a change to a new one is better then not!

*See post # 39 & 40

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...o-44018/page4/

Last edited by Callisto; 08-27-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I would recommend that you use isopropyl alcohol 70/30 only when spraying directly in the vents. And to be the most effective to area you really want to spray while the fan is on high is the intake duck in the engine compartment and with the cabin filter removed. *That intake duck is a bit of work to get to because you must remove the wiper arm and the 2 piece plastic cover at the lower part of the windshield under the wiper arms. It is a well worth hours labor from start to finish. Have your shop vacuum or house vacuum on hand because you might as well clean that area while the covers are off.

The price of the cabin filter is meaningless without really know the brand and model. But a change to a new one is better then not!

*See post # 39 & 40

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...o-44018/page4/
So 70% alcohol and 30% water with perhaps a finer misting spray type bottle? That sounds like a plan and the new filter too. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ESMAZDA
So 70% alcohol and 30% water with perhaps a finer misting spray type bottle? That sounds like a plan and the new filter too. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2020, 09:01 AM

Most of the peculiar smells that new car owners smell are those caused by excessive levels of formaldehyde or benzene in the car. The excessive formaldehyde in the air of new cars mostly comes from decorative materials such as seat sofa cushions and roof trim cloth linings, while benzene comes from adhesives. There are also some luxury brand new cars whose peculiar smell comes from the damper, which is a viscoelastic material attached to the inner surface of the car body and close to the steel plate wall of the car body, mainly to reduce noise and reduce vibration.

In fact, the new car smell mainly comes from three aspects:

1. The new car itself emits harmful gases in its parts

2. Plastic parts, carpets, roof felts, seats, etc. installed in the car will also emit related odors. Harmful gases include benzene, formaldehyde, acetone and xylene, etc.

3. Because the air conditioner used or the cabin is not well sealed, external pollutants can enter the car and cause pollution.

According to the professional maintenance personnel of 4S shop, currently, the traditional oil-based paint is commonly used in vehicle spray paint in the domestic automobile maintenance industry, and the oil-based paint contains more volatile organic compounds. These organic substances are easy to Harm to human health.

When buying a vehicle, it is best to open the door to smell the smell, especially for car owners with pregnant women and children, try to choose a model that has no peculiar smell or has a lighter peculiar smell and meets national standards. In the early stages of buying a new car, it is best to open the door before getting in the car to dissipate the odor. It is best not to close the windows tightly during driving. Open the windows properly on the road with relatively good air quality, even if there is a gap. Let the new car taste greatly reduced. When using air conditioners, the external circulation mode should be used more often.

We recommend you use these
charcoal bags odor absorber charcoal bags odor absorber
which can help you remove the new car smell.These bamboo charcoal bags are also perfect for bathrooms, closets, cars,closets, drawers, refrigerators, large area,new car smell or shoes, pet areas,gym bags,laundry rooms and so on .They use high quality activated carbon which adsorption capacity is ten times higher than ordinary activated charcoal, as they add a secondary high-temperature activation process,which makes the bamboo charcoal bags have more surface area and activity to quickly remove odor and moisture.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by caicai
Most of the peculiar smells that new car owners smell are ........
Did you you take the time to actually read the FIRST response. While your information is good it is NOT what the issue is regarding the smells... LOL Go read the first response again.

For you to re-read, I even highlighted and underlined important information to help the members resolve the concerns!
[QUOTE=ESMAZDA;186857]So, it’s been a hot time here in the MidAtlantic region on the east coast of the USA, Virginia to be exact. Been running the AC a lot on my Mazda CX-9 and just started noticing, after a few rainy days, a vinegar smell coming from the AC inside when first starting up the vehicle. It goes away after a few minutes, but is pretty strong at first. Any clue what this might be and how to get rid of it? Anyone else experience this and resolve it? Thanks in advance![/QFor you to re-read and I highlighted and underlined the clue and important information to help this member.UOTE]Did you you take the time to actually read the FIRST response. While your information is good it is NOT what the issue is regarding the smells... LOL Go read the first response again.

The information that you should beware of about your article....
It implies that removing the "harmful" (claimed) airborne smells can be done with some items but not indicating a permanent but more a temporary removal only the current air.... what it does not account for and perhaps it is an old article is the use of cabin filters dating back a couple of decades that when you use your HVAC system as designed can reduce much of the "harmful" (claimed) smells.

The thing that is flawed in that article...... many THINK that as the car gets older those "harmful" (claimed) smell eventfully dissipate or just go away. Those who think this would be sadly WRONG. They are only masked by the smells of HUMAN contributions to the interior of a car. LOL

It easy to test.... you take any car in very good shape in the interior. Give a complete DETAILED cleaning using only products like warm water and light soap solutions and naturally or environmental friendly cleaners. I MEAN a DETAILED CLEANING!!!!! Then let the car sit for about 2-3 month preferably during the summer season. Guess what at that end of the test your car will suddenly have that NEW CAR SMALL all over again! This will work for most any car with a HVAC system and even some older vehicles dating on the 70,s or older?