General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SOS! Dangerous 2014 Mazda 3 Hatchback

Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Default SOS! Dangerous 2014 Mazda 3 Hatchback

I start my car as per usual and everything seems to be smooth. As I approach a stop sign my foot naturally goes towards the break pedals however, my car does not stop at all. I almost got into two accidents as I ran past two stop signs. My foot is hard on my break pedals the whole time and my hand holding my horn. I put my car on neutral and I can feel my car speed up through the neighborhood. At this point I'm trying to turn my car off and that's a no go either. In my panic, I finally used my ebrake. My car makes a loud screeching noise probably due to my car's speed to the extent where people are coming out of their houses to check out the commotion and asking me if I was alright. Thankfully the occurrence happened in a neighborhood and not on the freeways otherwise I wouldn't be here. I tried to turn my car back on and it wouldn't start after that.

I took my car to get serviced Mazda all they could tell me was that my battery was low and the only fix they could do for me was to charge my battery. No explanation as to why my car continued to accelerate, why my car didn't slow down even if I changed my gears to neutral and why my brakes weren't slowing me down at all despite putting my full weight on it. Is this even a common problem for 2014 Mazda 3's? What else can I do to make sure my car is safe to drive?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:12 PM

Hmmm, I'm thinking not likely. Why? The brakes on your Mazda3 are WAY more powerful than the motor; sounds like you hit the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:12 AM

I posted it twice because I wasn't sure what thread to put it in. Thanks for calling it a fail, I was just looking for some input. I'm 100% sure I was pressing the brakes...don't know why you would think I would keep pressing the gas pedal to run through stop signs.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 AM

It's quite simple, brakes are a fully hydraulic system, and either they work or they don't; there is no electrical anything which will cause them A) to not work, and B) to accelerate the vehicle.

Long story short, if the car was accelerating or maintaining speed through the stop sign, you were not pressing on the brake pedal and were most likely pressing on the gas pedal.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:30 PM

Only heard of this concern once, in 10 yrs. Was happening to a women in her CX-7. I could never duplicate it. Only happened when she was wearing her "Moon Boots". huh, sounds like an epidemic. Did I mention she was tall?