General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Panic Alarm starts alone

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Default Panic Alarm starts alone

Hello
Lately, on my Protege 5 2002, the panic alarm has been starting alone.

Scenario 1, happened 7-8 times in the last 3 months
I stop the car
I get out of the car
I close the door and there it goes. The horn starts to ring like if I pushed the panic alarm button on the remote.
And be sure I didn't do it accidentaly, I double-checked myself several times on this.

Scenario 2, happened twice in the last 3 months
I am watching TV, having a beer, and I hear a car horn in the parking lot.
I recognize my car, get my keys, and stop it from inside the house.
I was alone at home, the keyx where in the closet, nothing to get it start by any reason.

Today, I am having my horn repaired. It stopped working in the last weeks.
Do you think it can have a link with the panic mode starting alone ?
Does a broker horn can activate panic alarm ?

Thanks for your help.
Pat

Old 02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Default RE: Panic Alarm starts alone

Very unlikely that a defective horn could be causing the malfuction patpou. The horn is an output device only so should not affect the operation. Is this a factory alarm system? And if so is it also equipped with the impact sensor?

Old 02-03-2006, 02:51 PM

Effectively, I would be surprised if the horn was the problem.
The horn is now repaired and I have had the problem once again.

There is no impact sensor, it is just a door lock, door unlock and panic button remote, with door acknowledge when you press twice the door lock button, and horn buzzing if you press panic button.

Problem seems to be related with a misfunction in panic mode. Maybe the remote is sending commands alone (but I don't think it looks logical), maybe the system goes on alone.

weird...

Old 12-28-2006, 04:08 PM

Patpou and BabyHuey-- my 2006 Mazda 3 is doing the exact same thing for the last two weeks. We have to disconnect the car's battery at night to keep it from going off. We tried just disconnecting the remote's battery but it still went off on its own! It has been at the dealers for three days now but doesn't go off there. Obviously I am getting some stary RF from another source in my neighborhood that trips it.

So Patpou-- how did yours resolve?

BabyHuey-- is it possible to disabele the panic alarm without disabling the horn (the dealer says they can't/won't do that). They are in essence saying "just keep disconnecting the car battery whenever the car is parked at your house"!

Dan Farrell
Anaheim CA

Old 12-29-2006, 09:18 PM

The only way you would be able to keep the horn from going off from security system and not disable completly would be to cut the black wire at pin 'N' of the J-04 connector of the Passenger Junction Box. This wire is the security systems control point for the horn relay. Horn would then only operate by pressing the center of the steering wheel. Lights however would continue to flash when the alarm went off.
Perhaps one thing the dealer would be willing to try is to swap your keyless remotes with an unsold vehicle. This could possibly change the Panic function frequency that is being transmitted/received enough to stop the alarm from going off by itself. This is of course assuming that the system is going off due to stray RF from a neighbors garage door opener or some other source of RF.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Default Your fob battery is dead

When the alarm goes off in the erratic ways described above it's because the battery in the fob is dead. The only way to turn the honking off is to put the key in the keyhole in the drivers door and turn it 3 times to the right. This is the magic code that a mechanic taught me. I've used the procedure twice now.