General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda service fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Default Mazda service fail

Last week I scheduled an appointment with a mazda stealership to get my automatic trans fluid changed because of some rough shifting issues. My 2005 mazda 6 with the v6 mysteriusly started having shift issues on the way home from a service job six months ago. There were no codes or lights coming from the trans the fluid was full and clean. When I arrived to get the fluid flushed (a 72 mile trip one way) the service manager asked if it would be ok to have his tech pull any codes from the trans which would add another $100 to my bill but it might help diagnose the rough shift. I explained that this started after a previous service job for changing spark plugs and that there were no codes coming up now. he did not seem to understand what I was saying so I ended up saying that’s fine pull the codes while its in there getting the fluid changed. After a two hour wait in their cheesy waiting room another service manager comes in and tells me that I need anew transmission $5100 I asked what this opinion was based on and he stumbled around with an answer then looked at the paperwork he had in his hands and said that the trans fluid was dark and had a slight odor. DUH and why did I bring the car in today? Was it to get the trans fluid changed? At this point the guy gets embarrassed in front of a room full of other customers and walks off mumbling something about talking to the tech again. They never changed my fluid and they charged me for pulling the codes. I drove home 72 miles without any problems the rough shifting happens only once in a while and its not very noticeable. I changed the fluid myself the next day used royal purple t-iv and I am done with mazda for good. I was going to trade this car in for another mazda but there are just to many problems with their service to do that.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Banned

Unfortunately you never said mileage on your car!
F'n Rookies!
The tranny fluid on an automatic needs to be changed every 30,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't Mazda sure won't, as it is not on there maintenance schedule.
Changing the PCV valve is never on Mazda service schedule either!
Cleaning MAF and throttle body and EGR is not on there service schedule either!

ALL OF THE ABOVE ITEMS MUST BE DONE FOR A PROPER MAINTAINED CAR! SO IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THEM, YOU ARE OVERDUE

Also flush and fill your coolant (this should be on Mazda Schedule).

If this is your first fluid change, shame on you!
For more on tranny fluids READ: How often should the automatic transmission fluid... — Yahoo! Autos
and READ: Flush it or Forget it |*MotorWeek

I would strongly suggest an external transmission cooler with an automatic!

THE ABOVE IS VERY IMPORTANT, especially for all you newbies out there.
A few other things: change your power steering fluid, brake fluid.
Run lacquer thinner in your gas tank to help clean catalytics and O2 sensors:

Attached Thumbnails Mazda service fail-serviceschedule.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

FYI : All Mazda's have a schedule for coolant replacement.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 AM

I titled this thread mazda service fail because of the stealership that was so incompetent.
I knew about the suggested 30,000 mile trans fluid change suggestion from reading these forums just recently. I have 81,000 on the 6. Most cars have a 100,000 mile interval on trans fluid change. The dealership I bought mine from new went out of business a year after I bought the car and I have not had good service with others I have used or I would have been told about this issue. This is also a mazda fail because they let their stealerships inform or not inform people about issues. Whenever you take a mazda in for service they are supposed to do a 21 point inspection. That did not happen either. All car have their bad and good points but when you have a company that’s as incompetent as mazda about service work you have a recipe for fail.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by benahn
I titled this thread mazda service fail because of the stealership that was so incompetent.
I knew about the suggested 30,000 mile trans fluid change suggestion from reading these forums just recently. I have 81,000 on the 6. Most cars have a 100,000 mile interval on trans fluid change. The dealership I bought mine from new went out of business a year after I bought the car and I have not had good service with others I have used or I would have been told about this issue. This is also a mazda fail because they let their stealerships inform or not inform people about issues. Whenever you take a mazda in for service they are supposed to do a 21 point inspection. That did not happen either. All car have their bad and good points but when you have a company that’s as incompetent as mazda about service work you have a recipe for fail.
The 100,000 mile interval is a scam, especially if you don't have an external cooler. This is why you really need to seriously read: How often should the automatic transmission fluid... — Yahoo! Autos

Some quotes from it:

It doesn't take long for the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) to heat up once the vehicle is in motion. Normal driving will raise fluid temperatures to 175 degrees F., which is the usual temperature range at which most fluids are designed to operate. If fluid temperatures can be held to 175 degrees F., ATF will last almost indefinitely -- say up to 100,000 miles.

every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!

At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles.

According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced.

On most vehicles, the automatic transmission fluid is cooled by a small heat exchanger inside the bottom or end tank of the radiator. Hot ATF from the transmission circulates through a short loop of pipe and is thus "cooled." Cooling is a relative term here, however, because the radiator itself may be running at anywhere from 180 to 220 degrees F.!

Any number of things can push ATF temperatures beyond the system's ability to maintain safe limits: towing a trailer, mountain driving, driving at sustained high speeds during hot weather, stop-and-go driving in city traffic, "rocking" an automatic transmission from drive to reverse to free a tire from mud or snow, etc.

Tests have shown that the typical original equipment oil cooler is marginal at best. ATF that enters the radiator cooler at 300 degrees F. leaves at 240 to 270 degrees F., which is only a 10 to 20% drop in temperature, and is nowhere good enough for extended fluid life.
An auxiliary transmission fluid cooler is easy to install and can substantially lower fluid operating temperatures. The plate/fin type cooler is somewhat more efficient than the tube and fin design, but either can lower fluid temperatures anywhere from 80 to 140 degrees when installed in series with the stock unit. Typical cooling efficiencies run in the 35 to 50% range.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 AM

benahn:

I understand your frustration with the dealers. I happened to have a similar experience with my 86 323. Our local Mazda dealer closed and a new one opened at a different location. The old dealer seemed to be o.k. with a little nagging. The new one didn't know diddly squat. In the end I was looking for a decent independent garage and it took me along time to find one. I am with them ever since and I don't mind the charges I pay: less than dealer, not the cheapest, but they won't do unnecessary work either. I even get the oil changes done there, even though there are 2 cheaper places right next to the shop. They know me by name.
You may want to ask around where your friends and foes take their cars for service other than dealers. You may want to drive by some places and look if they are entrusted with fairly new cars. Then pick one out for the next oil change to get a feel for the folks.

Noggin makes a bunch of good points even though he could have used nicer language. He must have gotten out on the wrong side of the bed. ....happens to the best of us.

Last edited by tanprotege; 10-15-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanprotege

Noggin makes a bunch of good points even though he could have used nicer language. He must have gotten out on the wrong side of the bed. ....happens to the best of us.
I was arguing on another topic with a guy who was selling his on-line web stuff with improper format and against forum rules. Those posts have now been deleted as i finally reported him. Thanx Virgin1.
You are the Man Tan! Also Thanksgiving Sunday supper was short.

I too have had to change dealerships, but you must take control and have some understanding of what really needs to happen to properly maintain your car.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM

Just about all Mazda's use a routine pertaining to coolant substitution.