General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda Radio code reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Default Radio code

I hope someone can help, I bought a 96 626 for my son, of course there was no manual with it, the radio is dead, no display nothing, Checked all the fuses, now I see all the warnings about make sure you have the anti-theft code before disconnecting the battery, for whatever reason. Well, not sure of the history of this car, I bought this car through habitat for humanity, so I never spoke to the previous owner, and habitat really didn't know anything about it. its been taken care of obviously, but not sure if the radio has "err'd" out because someone tried unsucessfully to reset the code to many times or just never tried to reset it.

I read the thread about resetting the code but the last step was to reprogram as per instruction manual. dont have one.

I dont wanna pay $29.00 for codes that wont work, Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome 96626.
Yes, I saw a program once about these cars, on SPEED Channel, I think it was, and understand that the Habitat cars are gone over pretty carefully by a qualified, volunteering mechanic before being resold. It seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Have you tried resetting the code as Blue suggest? Perhaps when you get to that last step the radio itself may help you through the final step.
I'm guessing, but you probably choose your own code and install them through the radio preset buttons and then finalize. It's this last step (finalization) that I can't guess about. You may need to hit the seek or some other button to set the new code, but what have you got to lose? Try it, it may work.

Other than that, you may be able to find an owners manual for the car online, like Craig's list or eBay which could be worth the cost of admission further down the road.

OR, perhaps someone here has their manual and can walk you through the final steps.

And again I want to thank Blue_SP20 for posting this information. Good job, Man.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Cool

Thanks Virgin, well, Now I feel like a moron, after researching this all day and reading all the online manuals, and trying every combination of button pushing with no results, I finnaly checked to see if there was actually power to the radio, there was power at the fuse box, so I pulled the radio out and none of the connectors were connected, the ground, the speaker connector , the power and the antenna. for some reason someone had put the radio in without plugging anything in, plugged everything back in, problem solved. display and presets dont work, but radio and cd player sound great, itll get him to Christmas then we will put a new one in. Thanks again for your help

Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hahahahaha!!!
Y'know anyone that tells you they have NEVER done something like that before, including me, would be lying. Don't worry about it. We all play the fool at some time or another. But I have to say, that is funny.
I once rotated a friend's tires for him in my driveway. He is automotively/mechanically challenged to say the least, but he had me so flustered by the time I was done ("Why are you doing this? Why did you do it that way? What are you doing now, etc?) that I forgot to torque the lugs on his front tires before he left. A half block and he turned around to ask me what all the noise was. D'UH!!! It was a while before he let me forget about that. I reminded him that he didn't even know HOW to rotate tires or that they needed to be from time-to-time. I got my revenge too.
'Wonder why the display and buttons don't work? Strange.

As far as a radio is concerned, if you are looking for another OE, your local junkyard, eBay or Craig's list are all good sources.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM

A huge thank you to A123Matt. I tried this and it worked using the code you suggested.

Thank you very much.

One very happy lady!

Last edited by Minx; 08-04-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

I LOVE this thread. It's so hard for me to believe that a dealer would charge so much for something so simple and that's posted on the web.

It makes ME feel good that you all have benefited from one/two posts w/suggestions of how-to-do this relatively simple thing. And yet, I tend to be a cynic w/almost everything else!!
Let's keep taking the $$$ out of the dealers mouths and keeping it where it belongs... in our own.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Wink Mazda Radio code reset

When I initially read my Mazda hand book I almost had heart failure as I thought I would have to replace the whole radio. It was only after some deliberation that I decided to check the internet to see if there was any sound advice of what could be done and I discovered the DIY and the Mazda uk forum's. Hale them both!

Manufacturers and garages charge the earth for what turns out to be a 40 second solution.
The person who decides the charges must have travelled to the moon and back contracting an out of space sickness bug because they certainly haven't got to grips with what should be a realistic charge or no charge for common problems like your radio locking you out when you haven't set a code. Rambling on now.

Thanks to everyone.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I love all the miscellaneous charges on the bill these days... things that when I was in the business were considered the cost of doing business and part of the overall consideration.
Things like: $20 for "shop supplies," and another $20 for "shop chemicals," even if none were required in the repair of your particular vehicle. Just an excuse to rip you off.

Do you see such charges made in the UK also, Minx?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Default Mazda radio code reset

Similar charges apply.

Another story:-

Water bottle refill £3.36 - I filled the water bottle prior to taking my car for a service and they still had the nerve to charge for it. I refused to pay my bill until they removed this. This charge was removed.
I know I'm a lady but I'm not that daft!

The main dealer garage that services my car cracked one of the headlights, scratched the bumper, carried out the repairs and didn't say anything. It was only on receipt of my bill I noticed that repair charges had been incurred for the work. I was not happy! Big argument! I should have reported them to Mazda but it seemed like too much of an effort at the time. I was very upset as you can imagine when I discovered this had happened. The charges were removed and they replaced the second headlight as the new one made the old one look dirty. If you get what I mean.

I took my car in for another service (at the same main dealer garage thinking I would give them one more chance), to find when collecting my keys minus the novelty mouse that one of the mechanics broke it. Again they weren't going to say anything until I questioned where the novely mouse was and they told me that one of the junior mechanics had a baby tamtrum and through my keys across the garage forecourt damaging it. Again, not happy and I asked them for money to replace my key ring and some money off my service bill.

Do you have problems like this in the US?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Default mazda 323

What code should I use in Australia to make my radio work? My battery 's gone flat and I forgot my code number.Thanks in advance.
Jaja

Quick Reply: Mazda Radio code reset