General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda Mx-3 driveshaft? Transmission? SOL?

Old 09-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Default Mazda Mx-3 driveshaft? Transmission? SOL?

Get off work, swinging a hammer, not turning a wrench and drive to the boss's house in my 1995 Mazda MX-3 pickup hatchback for a paycheck. I parked facing up a small incline (driveway much steeper gravel) and when I returned to the car, it seems the transmission has slid rearward. I could barely get it into 2nd, 4th, or reverse, because it barely clears the interior console plastic. The whole gear shifter seems to have sunk some also, I can lift up on the stick, and it seems like I'm almost lifting up the transmission... The stick comes straight up an inch or so, and stops, but it only takes 10 lbs or so of force to lift the stick that inch. Evening was quickly turning to nighttime, and the boss loaned me a car for the weekend, and said we'd try to limp it the few miles down the road to the mechanic on Monday (still drove enough to move it out of the center of the driveway). If I spent a year in a concentration camp, I wouldn't be able to crawl under the car, and if I did get under it by some miracle, I would look at it, crawl out, and say "I dunno". I was just trying to get an opinion on me driving it to the mechanic, or paying for a tow, depending on what might possibly have caused this strange problem. Any thoughts might help. The car has 110k, but looks like 500k. It is my daily tool hauler/gas saver. Might sell for a grand on its best day, after fixing $250 dollars in other problems. But, runs strong, saves me a ton in fuel vs my montero, and, I kinda love her... Her name is petunia. Does anyone know if she just retired?

My name is David, I am a licensed contractor in western NC. I ride my motorcycle all I can, and only drink on the weekends. I like short walks (shorter the better), Scotch, my new membership to Mazda forum, and being able to find an answer to my problems on the Internet without having to post on a forum.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Carpenterdave: You probably need (at least one) new engine and / or transmission mount(s). Start the engine and look at it under the hood, rev it up ad see if it moves around excessively.
It seems Petunia has some wrinkles around the eyes but heart and lungs appear in good health. I prognosticate quite a few more years of her capable service even though now and then a part made of rubber will need replacing. I suppose the metal is in good shape unless they put salt on the roads in and around the Smokies and Pisgah National Forest.
I would say keep her and the forum will do what it can to keep you out of that camp you mentioned.
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Thanks so much, I'll let you know what the mechanic says her issues are after he takes a look Monday.