General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda 6 Radio buttons don't function and no sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:28 PM
Default Mazda 6 Radio buttons don't function and no sound

Front of stereo

Loom

Stereo model

Hi, I have a year 07 Mazda 6. My stereo unit has power going to it from the ignition and battery.
When I put in a CD it will play but there is no sound. It will eject too.
The power button will not do anything or any of the other buttons on the unit and nothing apart from the CD shows on the display and only eject works.
I even got a second exact same unit from local car breakers and the exact same problem happened.
I cannot figure it out at all. Any help whatsoever would be very much appreciated.

Cheers Mike.

Front of stereo

Loom
Stereo model

Last edited by MikeDee; 05-23-2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Photos in wrong area of post.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Bose or non bose?

What happens when you press the AM or FM buttons?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Bose or non bose?

What happens when you press the AM or FM buttons?
Thanks very much for your reply. Nothing happens at all when I select those buttons. None of the buttons do anything apart from eject on the CD, that also shows CD on the display and track number time playing if a CD is inserted but cd cannot be forwarded etc. and no sound.
I'm not sure if it is Bose or not. The model number is CQ - MM457OAK
It's just really strange that two of the units did the exact same thing.
Thanks, Michael.
Front of unit
Model number

Old 06-28-2018, 03:19 PM

I found the problem for me. I have a 2007 Mazda6 with the Bose system Strangely, it was a thread for the Millenia where I found the clues to the source of the problem.

The issue is, apparently, the head unit, at some point starts to fail to send a low amp signal to the Bose Relay under the hood...and once this signal fails to be sent, the relay never switches, and the Bose amp never powers on. The strange thing is, this failure can be intermittent as mine was. I went three weeks with no audio, then all of the sudden it started working again. This is how I knew for sure that A) no fuses were blown and B) my amp wasn't toast.

Under the hood, you can remove the not-broken relay for the Bose system and place a paperclip on the two silver contacts, completing the circuit to power your amp. If your issue is the same as mine you'll have sound as soon as you turn your stereo on. I suppose it's possible you just have a bad relay, but I swapped mine with a neighboring good relay, and nothing changed.

I haven't yet implemented a permanent work-around for this failure of the head unit's, but there are definitely many ways to work around this. I haven't decided yet which way I want to go. I currently have a 10 amp fuse jammed into the silver contacts, meaning my amp is technically always on But I have sound back!!