General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent Wipers / Auto Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Default Intermittent Wipers / Auto Headlight Problem

Hi, I am only new here and this is my 2nd Mazda, it's a 2007 2.3L Mazda3 GT Sport Hatchback and I'm having the following technical issue:

Intermittent Wipers and Automatic Headlights do not work at all. Headlights and wipers work manually in the other control arm switch positions. I have the Rain sensing wipers as an "Add On". I've done the following trouble shooting:

Checked all related fuses, pulled them and re-seated

Checked both Control switches for the headlights and wipers and they seem ok.

Removed the Rain Sensing Sensor at the top center of the windshield and visually inspected as OK + cleaned circuit board with contact cleaner. Note: Yes windshield was replaced but all connections to sensor seem intact.

From what I understand the problem is tied into both the intermittent wipers and auto headlight function. I also saw that there may be a Control Module behind the Instrument cluster, which would be required to be removed before inspecting the module.

I have reviewed some of the on-line forum's but cannot find a solution. Is there something I am missing? Any idea's anyone would be greatly appreciated, thanks to all.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:40 AM

Hi Everyone, surely someone here has knowledge of or has personally experienced this problem before? Any support would be helpful, thanks.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

My car is a bit simpler than yours, but I would have to think it related to that dash mounted sensor which detects, or is supposed to detect both conditions.
You may have cleaned it as stated, but that may not have been enough.

I'll see if I can point the grim-reaper to this thread, as he is a Mazda tech, and though he's in Australia the system should be the same.

I sent him a PM and asked him to look into this problem. Expect it might take a day or two....

Last edited by virgin1; 10-29-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:58 PM

Thanks for your message, input and for forwarding on a message for assistance. When you mention "dashboard sensor" do you mean the rain sensing sensor behind the rear view mirror or another sensor behind the dash? It has to be something common to both the auto headlights and intermittent wipers and I suspect there may be another module somewhere. Again thanks for your help!

Old 10-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

I am not familiar with the Mazda sensor for this system, so that was an educated guess. I know the light sensor for the automatic headlamps on my wife's Vibe is on the left side upper dashboard.

Something else I thought of later after posting is that I'm quite sure this system (like all others in modern cars) has an ECU that ultimately controls it. I'm wondering if a reflash is in order... and again, I'm only spit-balling here. 'Just a guess.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

I am here, but I'm on holiday in NZ & don't have access to workshop manuals.
Was there a jell like pad between the sensor & the windscreen?

Old 11-10-2015, 04:12 AM

I cannot tell if there was a pad or not. The window was replaced yes and the previous owner cannot tell me if the Auto Headlights and Rain Sensing Intermittent wipers problem existed before or after. I can tell the senor's been definitely glued on to the window as it cannot be removed. Questions: Are both senor's located here or somewhere else? As what virgin1 stated, I am not sure re-flashing the ECU would rectify the problem or not, thanks.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:33 AM

If the windshield was replaced, it's possible they did not use the right one. There is a specific type of windshield that will work with the rain sensor, and can cause it to malfunction if it's not the proper type of windshield.