General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I have an 88 RX 7 10th Ann Turbo that wont stay runnin

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Default I have an 88 RX 7 10th Ann Turbo that wont stay runnin

I bought the car about a month ago. It only has 39,000 miles on it. When I brought the cat home it would run and run really good but it just wouldn't idle once it warmed up. I assumed it was the MAF sensor which I went to advance and purchased. Now, the car will only crank, run a few seconds then shut off. When I put the old MAF back in it won't run either. Any help would be appreciated. If I can just get it goin right this is a very nice car I plan to restore. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by mike4ua2001
I bought the car about a month ago. It only has 39,000 miles on it. When I brought the cat home it would run and run really good but it just wouldn't idle once it warmed up. I assumed it was the MAF sensor which I went to advance and purchased. Now, the car will only crank, run a few seconds then shut off. When I put the old MAF back in it won't run either. Any help would be appreciated. If I can just get it goin right this is a very nice car I plan to restore. Thanks in advance.

Check for engine codes. If your distributor, maf, or other major sensors are bad, you'll get an engine code. Atleast a start.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Get the Haynes manual. You probably have to do a few measurements to find the bug.
From your description I think it could be a fuel delivery problem. 1st question is: does the fuel pump run? You should hear something when you turn the ignition on without starting the engine.
Is the fuel pressure correct? Measure and compare with the Haynes manual.
Is the fuel filter clogged?
Are the fuel injectors working correctly? Listen to them with the stethoscope.
Is the throttle opening an closing correctly?
Is the TPS (Throttle position sensor) working correctly?
Is there a vacuum leak somewhere?
Also there is an engine coolant temperature sensor. If it doesn't tell the computer that the engine is warm then it keeps the mixture too rich and could cause flooding. Does the exhaust smell like gasoline? Are the plugs wet?

Last edited by tanprotege; 10-12-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Guys, you may be wasting your time. This OP posted nearly a month ago and hasn't been back since so chances are, either he figured it out on his own or had help from somewhere else.

(Only 39k on an '88? A 23-24 yr old car? Right!!)

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Default 88 rx7.....

Thank you for all who responded. It was definitely a fuel problem. The fuel pump sock was clogged up as well as the fuel filter so the gentleman that posted about the fuel delivery was money. I just got it running yesterday. I'm gonna have to drop the tank to clean it out since it sit for a while...was only driven a few times a year. Oh...and as far as the mileage goes, I will gladly give the VIN # and you can run a Carfax on it. It has exactly 39,159 miles on it. I'm the second owner and the original owner is a buddy of mine who bought the car new in 88. It was 1 of only 3 sold at Jeff Sikes Mazda in Huntsville,AL. And yes I do have all the paperwork on the car when it was serviced.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

WOW!! What a find!!

Good for you.. and congratulations!!

If its been sitting for a while be sure and do a complete brake fluid change out as well as coolant.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Default Thanks for the advice on the brakes and coolant....

I hope I didn't sound a bit smart about the mileage, if I did I apologize. I've been workin this guy over on this car for years because he offered it to me at an awesome price several years ago but I just didn't have the funds at the time. I struck up the conversation with him about the car again a few months ago and he priced it to me again. I had the money this time and I jumped on it. I know yall wouldn't believe the price I paid for it so I'm not even gonna post it...lol. I'm a newbie on these Mazdas so any info yall can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

First of all, don't worry about hurting my feelings. I was asking for it, and I apologize to you!!
You were a one time poster w/a hard-to-believe story, so as site watchdog, I was calling you out to see how you'd react, if you'd react at all. Sorry 'bout the tactics, but sometimes I have to stoop to such things just to protect the other members and the site itself.
Ya' never know who you're talking to on the web, and we do get a lot of one-time, hit-and-run posters here. I was trying to see if you were serious and paying attention. I'm happy to report that YOU WERE!!

As for the rotary: They are a special breed. I have never owned one myself (I came close a few times ) but know that they DO require regular maintenance and a lot of TLC. If the car has been sitting, and according to your posts it has, I would go through it as thoroughly as possible before trying any long distance travel or track time using it. Even day-today driving. Lubricate, inspect, replace, etc everything you can think of.
The rotor seals (the equivalent of rings in a piston engine) do go bad w/o regular use, and REGULAR oil changes. Rotaries by nature us some oil, so keep an eye on that.

Again, sorry about the rough treatment. I hope you understand.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 AM

"...so the gentleman that posted about the fuel delivery was money. "

Mike: I'll send you the bill. Don't worry, you can pay me later!

The more I read about these RX7 the more I like to fix one up. To me, a car enthusiast with limited budget, fixing a car like that is even more satisfying than driving. And the RX7 would be real fun to drive in an autocross.

Somewhere I read that the engine was also used in small aircraft and that there is a aircraft shop that rebuilds these engines expertly. It will take a lot of googling to find that info again.

Virgin1: you are on Santa's naughty list.

tanprotege

Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Virgin1: you are on Santa's naughty list.

I know, I know. I'm a bad, BAD Moderator and I deserve to be spanked. (Walks away skulking, w/head hung low. )

But enough of that, seriously, go through the car. Drain the tank. Clean or replace ALL the filters including the fuel pump sock and fuel filter. Be gentle on it at least for a while.
If the car has been sitting it is not been used correctly. Automotive things don't like to sit for long periods of time. They need to be used to keep them up or they fail due to a lack of lubrication and/or bad fuel, bad brake fluid, etc.....

*edit* OH and one other VERY important thing. If the car has only been driven a few miles a year and the brake fluid has not been changed regularly, be sure to check and replace any hard lines in that system too. As you may know, brake fluid is hygroscopic and will take on moisture from the air. I have seen it more than once where a brake line looks perfectly fine from the outside, but has been corroded by moisture from the INSIDE and it will fail. You don't want that, I'm sure.

Last edited by virgin1; 10-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: I have an 88 RX 7 10th Ann Turbo that wont stay runnin