General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dealer fix failed thrice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:33 AM
Default Dealer fix failed thrice

2007 CX 7. Engine is completely bogged down after its started. Barely drives and takes a half mile to get to 2000 rpms. At this point, the engine perks up and drives normally as long as the engine remains greater than 2000 rpms. The codes always reads bad injector and they all have been checked twice (one was replaced because a wire appeared burnt ?? the first time). Then the Nashville dealer stated it was the control module... 3 times replaced, 3 times paid for and 3 times the fix lasted less than 150 miles. The car now sits because nobody has a clue what it is. I believe it's in the programming.. Any ideas out there

Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Banned

Turbocharged 4 banger?
Check turbo and turbo piping/intercooler leaks.

Check this out: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-7/

Within a few years, reports of timing chains surfaced caused by the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) module.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 01-05-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM

There is a TSB on that exact complaint. It is tsb# 01-053/06 It is a replace/reprogramming of the PCM. There should be a sticker on your drivers door jamb if they did it. It is likely that there is another issue as well. I would call Mazda Corporate and fax them your reciepts for the repairs. This is covered under the Lemon Law. They will likely set up an appointment with an area rep and/or send you to another dealer. They might fly a competent tech in to fix it.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 AM

Checked out the TSB. I told the dealer of bulletin 01-053/06 and how it describes the issues at the first repair. They would NOT consider this fix. Even after 2 PCM's. Who else has the ability to perform Module Reprogramming or is it just the dealership ??

Old 01-06-2015, 11:07 AM

I've had tiiming chain problems with other cars and it is not the case here. This one: the engine is completely bogged down until it reaches 2,000rpm (turbo kicks in) and it runs decently.... example: I have driven it on the expressway above 2000rpms and it's ok but getting to and from the expressway takes skill driving a disabled car without conking out. Gotta be module reprogramming but who does it besides the dealer

Old 01-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Don't bother with the dealer. Call Mazda corporate. If you are in the US you have a lemon law claim. If they fail to repair your car 3 times then they must buy it back or fix it. If corporate gives you no help then lawyer up. Dealerships are privately owned. Some good,some bad. Go over their heads.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Called Mazda USA and asked for a corporate field rep to look into my complaint but need a diagnosis less than 30days old. I was assured that when I take it in there will be some corporate oversight of the repairs. Kinda helps but now I've got to get the car to another dealership.. not many in Tennessee. The next closest is 70miles north... gotta do it.

Wonder if the original dealership knowingly avoided the TSB to increase repair dollars ??

Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 PM

Something not many people know is that manufacturers do not pay for warranty repairs. They give the dealer credit toward parts. If it is a small town dealer then they don't sell many parts therefore do not like doing warranty work. The manufacturers also charge big bucks for flash programs/special tools,etc. I expect you will receive some sort of refund from Mazda but then i am not privy to exactly what they did or charged you for. Basicly the metro area's with several dealers are your best bet for good service. Some technicians have " small ***** syndrome" . They refuse to check for TSB's because they think they know everything. What they can't seem to understand is that some problems are engineered into the car and can't be fixed without input from the manufacturer. I have watched tech's spend 3 days on a car that i could have fixed in 10 minutes by just checking for TSB's. You can give them advise but you can't make them take it.

Last edited by hixx; 01-08-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Thanks Hixx. Small town- overcompensating fragile ego's.... the old "that's the way we do it in these here parts".... maybe TSB's are big city ideas that have no place in rural america.

Either way, I rent a tow dolly and haul it someplace with repair shop options.. competition is good. Too bad dealers are the only option to re-program. No choices are a consumer's nightmare