General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can't Program Homelink to Craftsman Garage Door Opener?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Default Can't Program Homelink to Craftsman Garage Door Opener?

2019 CX-5 GT with Homelink. Craftsman Garage Door opener (probably about 15 years old I'm guessing with battery backup - although the battery backup still works so maybe it's a newer model that was installed by previous owner?)

Anyway, I read the manual, watched the videos and can't get it to work.

First, I'm not sure why some instructions say to park the car outside except from possibly something the lawyers came up with in case someone was so stupid they didn't realize the door might be activated when following this procedure and accidentlly hurt someone or something with the door coming down?

1) Hold button 1 and 3 until rapid blink to clear codes
2) Hold transmitter button 2 inches away and hold button 1, wait for change to rapid blink
3) Press homelink button twice (door doesn't open as expected as I have a rolling code opener)
4) Press learn button (bottom purple button on door opener in garage) - yellow light on opener comes on.
5) Within 30 seconds, press the homelink button for 2 seconds and release and repeat one more time

My garage opener light flashed after the first 2 seconds, then nothing happens and the Homelink button won't open it holding it a third, or even fourth time.

So I found this video (
) which says to press the Homelink button 3 times and not hold it very long. That doesn't work either.

So I figure maybe step 5 in the video is incorrect

Step 5 nothing happens but if instead I hold the Homelink button, after 2-3 seconds the light on my garage opener flashes. And then I press the Homelink button 3 times after that and nothing happens. Holding the Homelink button after that, nothing happens, just blinks rapid.

I know there is a "bridge" unit you can buy necessary for some openers. However, it seems to me, if the Homelink button causes the opener to flash the light, then it IS communicating and I would think the "bridge" wouldn't be necessary. But I can't get it to work!

I've tried almost every permutation I can think of, including skippng step 3, only pressing and holding once on step 3. One time, the garage opener blinked a second time on my second or third press and hold when in learning mode but still, didn't work in the end.

At the end of my rope on this. If a bridge isn't required my only guess now is that because I can't fully disconnect power from the receiver when I initially program the button, due to battery backup, maybe that's the 'rolling code' feature thinking the Homelink is a foreign transmitter. But I doubt that as the "Learn" button should make all that not relevant and effectively temporarily disable the security aspect of the rolling code thing while it learns the Homelink button?

Old 12-18-2019, 08:42 AM

We have an overhead door garage door and using a handheld transmitter did not work for us. We used only the learn button on the opener, held the homelink button for 2-3 seconds, then pushed homelink button 3 times after that and the programming was successful.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:51 AM

Thank you borgen, you have saved money from hiring garage door repair technician. I can easily program homelink button with my overhead garage door.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:43 PM
Default Any luck

Sorry to post on a 3 year old message, but did you ever have any luck getting it to work? I've had two Mazdas now that I can't train the Homelink on and it drives me crazy. I have the exact same behavior that you report: light blinks after first press/hold/release, but then nothing.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:33 PM

No, we never successfully programmed it.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:48 PM

I never got mine to work either. I contacted a Garage Door company off Yelp that said they'd come out and do it but I didn't have the heart to send them down a dead end as I was 110% sure I had tried all combination of possible methods. One thing that was interesting was that sometimes even the normal opener had a hard time working right in front of the door (with new batteries) and I'd have to try 2 or 3 presses. The unit could have been "buggy" and incorrectly locking out both the Homelink and the actual opener briefly on occasion mis-identifying them as scan attempts (just a theory.) But honestly I think my theory is a reach. I'm pretty sure this is what Craftsman users need if their homelink won't work.

HomeLink Compatibility Bridge Kit

I since moved and my new house the homelink button on my car worked just fine with the different garage opener (which is about a 3-year old unit.)

Old 03-11-2023, 06:58 PM
Default Figured it out

Originally Posted by viochemist
Sorry to post on a 3 year old message, but did you ever have any luck getting it to work? I've had two Mazdas now that I can't train the Homelink on and it drives me crazy. I have the exact same behavior that you report: light blinks after first press/hold/release, but then nothing.

I had the same exact problem and was ready to lose my mind. Finally I reset the opener, cleared all remotes. Then started over. Everything worked fine and programmed as it should. Only issue was that I had to reprogram everything I had connected. There must be a limit on the number of remotes that can be stored.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:51 PM

The complete reset route sounds interesting but unfortunately I can't test it as I already solved the problem by MOVING TO A NEW HOUSE. LOL.