General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Default A/C noise

This has been going on for while and I'm grateful nothing has worsen.

While the a/c is on, there's a noise (like muffling or a vrrrrr) kind of noise. It'll stay on for like 30 seconds and than kicks off. Than it'll kick back on and stay on for another 30 seconds.

It should be silent, not this muffling or vrrrr) type of noise. I'm not sure if a hose is broken thats why it's making this noise.

I need your folks input, knowledge....

HELP ME!!!!!

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Does the A/C work o.k?

I assume it does, otherwise you would have told us.

I can imagine the sound coming from the AC clutch or the belt. Check the belt and belt tension first. Also have a look at the AC clutch while it operates. You can also try to determine if the noise comes out of the compressor by using a piece of garden hose as a stethoscope. Hold one end on the compressor housing and the other on an ear.
If an AC hose were broken you would not get any noise and no cooling at all. The refrigerant would have leaked and the safety switch would have disabled the compressor so it would not self destruct.
Try these things in order to learn something, but AC work is for pros.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Yes, a/c still is working and blowing cold air.

I will check what you had mentioned.

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Does the A/C work o.k?

I assume it does, otherwise you would have told us.

I can imagine the sound coming from the AC clutch or the belt. Check the belt and belt tension first. Also have a look at the AC clutch while it operates. You can also try to determine if the noise comes out of the compressor by using a piece of garden hose as a stethoscope. Hold one end on the compressor housing and the other on an ear.
If an AC hose were broken you would not get any noise and no cooling at all. The refrigerant would have leaked and the safety switch would have disabled the compressor so it would not self destruct.
Try these things in order to learn something, but AC work is for pros.