General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 b2200 dead cylinder with spark and compression

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Default 89 b2200 dead cylinder with spark and compression

The truck was overheated so I replaced the head with a new one from alabama cylinder head. The truck runs now but misses badly.

Cylinder 2 isn't doing anything and the plug just gets wet. It is hard to tell what cylinder number one is doing. The truck runs about the same with the number one and two wires on as it does with them not connected to the distributor.

I moved the rotor position and the wires to see if it was the distributor and it still did the same thing. All 4 cylinders have about the same compression (125psi on my gauge). I checked the timing belt and ignition timing several times. I also checked the timing on the number 2 cylinder by marking another line on the balancer using the cam gear. Number one and three plugs get black as well as number four (but number four was lighter at first), number 2 plug just gets wet. I have replaced number 2 plug and used an inline spark tester.

Please Help, I am stumped and need this truck done. It is not drivable and won't stay running without throttle input.

Thank you

Old 07-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Make sure the EGR valve has no vacuum at idle and not stuck open. It sucks on one intake runner.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 AM

I hope you checked your battery/ alternator are in good shape.
Try checking your plug wiring harness; with an ohmeter you should get 300 to 8000 ohms, depending on the wire length. Be sure too that those wires are dressed well away from any adjacent metal and are spaced 1/8 in. or so away from each other.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Default update... still need help

The battery and alt are good. It has around 14 volts when running.

The wires are fairly new and I have number two not near anything and I had already tried another wire.

The egr does get some vacuum at idle but I had already tried disconnecting and plugging line. Now I have removed the valve and duct taped the ports on the intake. I found out the egr does leak even though it is closed but that is not my problem.

I checked the miss fire again by removing plug wires and found number one cylinder is contributing but number two is still dead. Number two plug is wet and half still clean and the other half black. The other three plugs are soot black.

I also removed the air filter assembly and tried tapping on the carbuerator but it still runs the same.

It does "idle" now with out throttle input... maybe because the egr is out of the picture or maybe just because it is a different day but number two cylinder is not working.

I plan to borrow a better compression gauge tomorrow but any other ideas would be greatly aprecciated. Is there anything number two cylinder does not have in common with the other three?

Thank you

Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Default update

I checked the compression with a better gauge. number
1: 120psi
2: 175psi
3: 125psi
4: 125psi

Can anyone explain this besides for the camshaft being defective? I pulled the valve cover and visually compaired the cam to the original one and they looked the same on opening and closing the valves as I turned them, but it is a lot of work to swap back to the used cam just to try it.

any ideas?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 AM

The big difference between cyls. 1,3,4 and #2 suggests to me that that wet dead plug is caused by oil. Turn the engine to get #2 at TDC and stick a Q tip or something in the plug hole and swab the piston crown. If it's oil as I suspect, that means ring, head gasket, or valve guide issues.
Your other sooty plugs could also be oil, or else your mixture is running horribly rich.