General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2017 Mazda CX5 - Error Code P0192 - High Pressure Fuel Pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 11:48 AM
Default 2017 Mazda CX5 - Error Code P0192 - High Pressure Fuel Pump replacement

Hello,

I am the owner of a 2017 Mazda CX-5 with 98,000km and my Mazda garage based in Richmond Hill in Ontario (Canada) told me they may need to replace the high pressure fuel pump. They diagnosed the P0192 error code on my car, ran a couple of tests and told me it was probably coming from the high pressure fuel pump. They told me the pump part costs C$1,063 and then I'd have to add labor which was C$525 (C$150x3.5h of labor). Total cost will be C$1,588 before tax.

Questions:
  1. From your experience, do you think the root cause of this problem is the high pressure pump or it could be something else?
  2. Overall the quote seems high, do you know a reliable website where I can compare the price of the part?
  3. Do you recommend doing this maintenance at another non-Mazda garage (Midas, Canadian Tire, etc.)?
Thanks in advance for your answers!

Old 10-23-2023, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by lexignot
Hello,

I am the owner of a 2017 Mazda CX-5 with 98,000km and my Mazda garage based in Richmond Hill in Ontario (Canada) told me they may need to replace the high pressure fuel pump. They diagnosed the P0192 error code on my car, ran a couple of tests and told me it was probably coming from the high pressure fuel pump. They told me the pump part costs C$1,063 and then I'd have to add labor which was C$525 (C$150x3.5h of labor). Total cost will be C$1,588 before tax.

Questions:
  1. From your experience, do you think the root cause of this problem is the high pressure pump or it could be something else?
  2. Overall the quote seems high, do you know a reliable website where I can compare the price of the part?
  3. Do you recommend doing this maintenance at another non-Mazda garage (Midas, Canadian Tire, etc.)?
Thanks in advance for your answers!
1. It reads most like they did the proper diagnostic work to conclude their findings
2. Cant quote labor rates in your country and they even vary from state to state here in the USA
3. I would always at least try to get a second service cost but remember if the initial diagnostic was incorrect, you have no recourse for cost recovery should you have another shop perform the service based on the findings from your first service department.

I am answering you as an ASE and manager of a service shop!

Old 10-28-2023, 11:18 AM

Some updates here: so I paid C$1,700 in total because they charged me 1h of labour for the tests they performed on the car to identify the problem was coming from the HP fuel pump...

In my case, I bring my car to this garage once a year to do a general check and in general they find nothing since my car sleeps in the garage, I take good care of it, I drive smoothly, etc. I brought the car in on Tuesday, they couldn't find anything wrong other than changing the AC filter, and Friday the same week I have this issue with the HP fuel pump. No symptoms previously.

Knowing this is the type of Mazda garage that follows up with you every 3 to 6months to carry out maintenance on your car, I was wondering if it's possible to sabotage this HP fuel pump?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by lexignot
Some updates here: so I paid C$1,700 in total because they charged me 1h of labour for the tests they performed on the car to identify the problem was coming from the HP fuel pump...

In my case, I bring my car to this garage once a year to do a general check and in general they find nothing since my car sleeps in the garage, I take good care of it, I drive smoothly, etc. I brought the car in on Tuesday, they couldn't find anything wrong other than changing the AC filter, and Friday the same week I have this issue with the HP fuel pump. No symptoms previously.

Knowing this is the type of Mazda garage that follows up with you every 3 to 6months to carry out maintenance on your car, I was wondering if it's possible to sabotage this HP fuel pump?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
We get vehicles at least 1-3 times a month for one service and then something happens after they leave a week or 2 or even a month and they always say it was fine until you serviced it? I am here to tell you YES there are shops that have done this and it has been going on form decades. However for the most part shops and dealerships want your return business and want you to feel safe and confident with them. So if this service shop has been your go to for some time I am sure nothing was sabotaged.

Let me give a personal example.
I changed my engine and transmission oil, cleaned all the intake sensors, air filter and even changed the spark plugs. The next week about 4 day after the service at only at the time 35k miles I get a PO421 DTC. WTF??? I can tell you how *meticulous I am about servicing my Mazda and I have the experience and credentials to boot! .*
See my thread.
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

This points to in most cases a CAT failing. Nope after checking everything, it was the HO2s not communicating correctly with each other. The DTC would come and go at related speeds below 45mph but not above. These could have been warrantied with MAZDA but for me a PIA and they would have likely only replaced the rear. Point is this would be an example if a customer had those service i did on their car and less then a weel later they would be questioning the newly developed condition and if it had anything to do with the service we did?

In your specific case the high-pressure pump could not be set to fail alone and that other fueling components would have also failed if something were deliberately done. And if it had it would be obvious. Most of the time the high-pressure fuel pumps on any gasoline engine will not give signs before it fails. You go out in the morning the engine starts and runs fine. You go to work come out to start the engine....and no start HP pump failed. That simple!

ASE

Old 10-28-2023, 03:03 PM

Thank you very much @Callisto for your detailed answer. Ok I understand I am not an isolated case. Thank you for confirming that the HP pump cannot be set to fail alone.

Thanks again!