Electronics, Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

IMMOBILIZER problem in winter - cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Default IMMOBILIZER problem in winter - cold weather

I got a BIG PROBLEM with starting in winter. I own MAZDA 3 (year 2004), I loves it to bits. But when temperatures drop below 0 (basically in winter only) my car does not want start.
Everyone was telling me it must be battery. But I was not sure, because it even wont try turn engine. But I got new battery and it did not solve the problem. My friends checked electric parts and it looks fine.
Then in MAZDA service told me to check IMMOBILIZER CONTROL if it is always on, or if it turns off when I get key in first position. Found out in cold weather it is always on and won’t let me start. So it is immobilizer problem we think (I am confused anyway).
But when I cannot start I turn on ventilation in car for few minutes to heat up car and my immobilizer let me start after that. It is very strange. Or once I start in the morning, then my car starts ok until next morning day when it cools down everything in the car.
In MAZDA service they checked connectivity on ignition etc. and they sprayed connectors for good connectivity. But if it wont solve my problem until tomorrow morning what do you advice?

Did anybody have same problem [&o]? I hate winter. I am worried go anywhere that I wont start car

Old 12-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: IMMOBILIZER problem in winter - cold weather

Suggest moving to a warmer climate. Take the Mazda with you. [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Nah Man. That's a new one on me.It's certainly not symptomatic of all Mazda3's, but probably a first!

But if the car won't start, how does using theheat/defrost/AC fan warm the car? That's the only thing you've said about this problem that doesn't make sense to me. It can only get warm if the coolant temp is up. And that can't happen unless the engine has been running.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:20 PM

Well I know what you mean and I know it sounds strange. But I think when outside is lets say -5 and I will turn on only fan without engine on, bit warmer air is goin throught then -5. So immobilizer will get little bit warmer.
Or maybe it is only my thinking that it helped. But it is very strange for me anyway. And I have no idea how to solve this problem. Tried it tonight (after they cleaned the contacts) and firstly it wont let me start and second try it was ok. Mysterious for me.
Befor they cleaned it in Mazda service it wont let me start unles I was playing with key (taking out from ignition for maybe 15 times, switching A/C fan on etc.).

There is nothing wrong that car what cannot start !!! I will try it morning again

Old 12-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

DAYEM!!! -5*!! Wind too? You'd BETTER move to a warmer climate. Your best choice.

Say you turn on the headlights, or radio(or whatever other electrical device) for the same amount of time as you are thefan now.Will the car start then?

Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 PM

Yep, at the moment it is -7 lol. At the moment it is not windy but few days ago was very windy lol. Poor my little Mazda 3.
Well, you know when your battery has not got good capacity and your car wont start because of battery. Advice for that is you flash with your headlights. Then battery will get shock and might start.
But I was doing then anyway in my case. If it helped I do not know, because my problem is in immobilizer. But it might warm contacts on immobilizer I think.
I think I will be taking heater with me to the car lol. I was planning to go to the mountains with my car, but hey what if it want start ? I will be stucked in mountines forever lol !
I am thinking go to Mazda again and ask them disconnect immobilizer forever. But do not know if it is so easy to do that ... I believe they just connect laptop to the car and press off button lol

Old 02-11-2012, 08:01 PM

I have the same problem, when cold my immobilizer light stays on preventing the car from starting. if I wait 4 minites the immobilizer light flashes then goes out. I turn the key off then on the light goes out and the car starts. Did you ever fix your problem? I need some help.

Last edited by ez4me; 02-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

WOW!!! Is this an old thread. I forgot it was here.

Sadly, the immobilizer is built into the PCM, and this sounds like an issue where either a sensor is freezing up and sending false information to the PCM, or perhaps its the PCM itself.
In any case, it sounds like a trip to a professional to have the problem diagnosed and repaired. 'Sorry, but my best suggestion under the circumstances.

I can imagine the frustration of this happening, but at the very least there does seem to be a way around it so you are not entirely stranded.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:24 AM

Hello from finland to this OLD email discussion, which must be topical still for many mazda onwers.

I've got Mazda6 2011, and in cold weather (less than -10C), if I drive a short distance, stop the engine and continue driving soon, the immobilizer may prevent engine starting. In some discussions that I found (in finnish), the reason is a relay that shall freeze in certain temperature / moisture conditions that will occur in such conditions, e.g. cold weather and short drive.

Instruction is to wait for few minutes, with electrical systems on (lights could be turned off). That would warm the relay, disamring finally immobilizer. For me, that has actually worked. Some warning lights may also be on after such start, but they should turn off soon.

Any similar experience in other countries in with cold winters?