Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

speakers help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Default speakers help!!

Kind of a stupid question but I dont no much about audio and that kind of stuff. But just for a temporary job until i get an amp and a sub, could i use normal stereo speakers cause i have some in my room that would sound decent if it could work? I was just wondering if it is possible to do the wiring and if it would work... please help me out

Old 04-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Default RE: speakers help!!

yupp... my friend did that on his geo... he didnt have rear speakers at the time, or he blew them, i forget, so he just plugged in his speakers from his stereo at home..
just make sure you connect the wiring right
so, negative to negative and positve to positive

Old 06-20-2007, 09:49 AM

LOL, and make sure the cannuter valve is properly aligned. Dentinger, I really hope there was supposed to be a in that post, being a moderator and all.

But just in case, lets set the record straight. Home speakers are typically 8 ohm. This is twice the resistance of a typical car speaker, and if you try to feed the speakers with the stock head unit, your volume from the home speaker will be exactly half of the existing car speakers. However...what kids typcially end up doing is wiring up the rear speakers either in parallel or series with the home speaks resulting in either 5.x ohms or 12 ohms. 12 ohms and your stock head unit amplifier chip will have never been happier. It will work for years at 12 ohms and NEVER burn up. 5.x ohms ain't bad either...but your making 2 speakers do the job of one.

About the comment re: pos to pos and neg to neg...this could not be further from the truth. Proper wiring of a speaker sometimes requires you to wire certain speakers out of phase with the others. I guess it's time for me to write up my speaker phasing tutorial again...but before I reinvent the wheel let me see if i can find the post I wrote about phasing a couple years ago.

Forget not to top off the blinker fluid while your at it too. This will make your car ALOT louder. and flame stickers = 25 extra horsies at the tires!

Old 06-22-2007, 03:39 AM

It doesnt work all the time. Most home speakers are 8ohm while some of our car stereo can only handle a 4ohm speaker.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:24 AM

jayd4wg

you are a ****ing loser