Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

need help deciding on door speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Default need help deciding on door speakers...

I would like to purchase the Infiniti Kappa 50.7 component speakers within the next couple of weeks, but what i would like to know is if anyone has tried this speakers out. reviews seems to all be good about them and haven't heard anything bad. are there better speakers that you would recommend? I'm just looking for something that can handle bass as well as clear highs and so far, these speakers seem to do that pretty well.

Here's what Crutchfield website says about them:

"Infinity Kappa component speaker systems boast an innovative low-impedance, high-efficiency design that'll provide plenty of clean, powerful output in your system.

The 50.7cs 5-1/4" component speaker system features a woven-glass-fiber woofer cone that delivers ultra-clean response. The Plus One+ cone design offers a larger surface area than other 5-1/4" speakers, for improved bass output and efficiency. Lightweight neodymium magnets drive the woofers with authority while saving weight — an important consideration if you're trying to shave pounds off your performance car.

The dome tweeter produces detailed, lifelike sound that's easy on the ears. Infinity's Starfishâ„¢ mounting bracket allows the system's tweeters to be installed in most factory tweeter locations. If you don't have factory tweeters, the ingenious I-mount system helps you custom install the tweeters in almost any location.

The computer-optimized outboard crossover promotes a smooth transition between the woofer and tweeter for uniform response from the lows through the highs. You'll hear every note in perfect balance. "

Here some specs on them:

» component speaker system includes woofers, tweeters, and crossovers
» 2-ohm impedance
» 5-1/4" Plus One+ woven-glass-fiber woofer with hi-roll rubber surround
» 1" M.M.D. dome tweeter with multiple mounting options
» Starfish™ mounting bracket for easier tweeter installation in factory locations
» 2-way external crossover network (18 dB/octave, 3,500 Hz high- and low-pass) with adjustable tweeter attenuation settings
» power range: 2-85 watts RMS (255 watts peak power)
» frequency response: 55-25,000 Hz
» sensitivity: 94 dB
» top-mount depth: 2-1/16"
» warranty: 3 years

[IMG]local://upfiles/1541/2469F849912F40B6B5370D578AD3CC22.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Default RE: need help deciding on door speakers...

what i've also found through searching is the Polk Audio db6500 component speaker system. now i'm not that knowledgeable about what speaker is better so i was hoping that someone could please explain, or guide me in the right direction.

Here's what Crutchfield website says about them:

"Dreaming about better sound in your car audio system? Do you want lows that are full and definitive? Highs that resonate with clarity? Stop dreaming! Polk's db Series db6500 component system uses 6-1/2" Dynamic Balance polymer/mica woofers to produce full, rich lows that are free of detail-robbing distortion. Rubber surrounds, Kapton voice coil formers, and pole plate heat sinks protect the woofers against the stresses of heat and time.

The liquid-cooled silk/polymer composite tweeters can be mounted in either flush- or surface-mount cups to project detailed highs where you want to hear them. The two-way crossover networks (4,000 Hz, 12 dB/octave) ensure smooth, well-balanced output, with built-in protection circuitry to guard your tweeters against accidental damage from high power. And you don't have to limit these speaker systems to your car — they've passed tough environmental testing that certifies them for marine use as well."

Here some specs on them:

» component speaker system includes woofers, tweeters, and crossovers
» polypropylene/mica woofer with rubber surround
» 1" liquid-cooled silk/polymer tweeter
» suitable for marine use
» 2-way crossover network (4,000 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
» tweeter protection circuitry
» frequency response: 40-23,000 Hz
» recommended power range: 10-100 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)
» sensitivity: 92 dB
» top-mount depth: 2"
» warranty: 1 year

[IMG]local://upfiles/1541/387EC441EADD4AE0A686442195BDD0FF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2006, 11:30 PM

In my opinion, if you want to go with better quality speakers that are WELL WORTH looking into I would say:

1: Focal
2: Diamond Audio
3: Boston Acoustics

I personally have had the Focal Utopia seperates in my Cavalier and they F'N ROCKED! I listened to every gendre of music and they never missed a beat. I have a good friend with Diamond Audio and another with the Boston's and are also excellent quality sound.

The best thing to do is go to an upscale stereo shop in your area to hear them. You will not believe it!!

Old 04-30-2006, 03:59 PM

Heres my opinion:

1.Orion
2.Infinity
3.Polk momo
4.Kenwood

I have personlly heard all sound qualities for all four and compared to the rest these are you best choise now for the top two lets just say if you can afford it get Orion, its the best but most expensive (so in a since you get what you pay for with them) but other than that if you can get Infinity if you wanna go a little cheaper but still better than my other two choises. Now if you find that both Infinity and Orion are out of you price range, then go with PolkMomo, not only do there components and subs add style but give very good sound quality and there amps are not that expensive, or can go with everybody else and not be original and go with Kenwood, its not that they are bad but everybody are there grandmom has it.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: bkey71

The best thing to do is go to an upscale stereo shop in your area to hear them.
This is your best bet...the best way to compare is actually hearing them.

And out of the two choices you listed, I would go with the Polks.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 AM

I had Polks in my Civic (the car I had before the 3) and they were nice. Had good low end but could of used some tweeters, but i wasnt about to get into that mess sine I was going to get a new car. Polk has always been a good manufacturer, just makes sure to get tweeters and a subwoofer and you'll be good. Also would recommend a equalizer and crossover