Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Pyle of crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Default Pyle of crap

So, after replacing all speakers in my new 3s (with Polk component 6" round), I still wasn't satisfied with the sound so I decided to put a 4-channel amp in. I ordered a Profile 1040, a pair of Scosche connectors (for the radio) and a Legacy LAMP4 (1600W) installation kit from Audio Warehouse Express. I've never ordered from AWE before, but their prices were great and a search didn't turn up anything too damaging about them. They're pretty no-frills; no shipping notification and no packing slips in the boxes and the boxes did not all arrive together.

Without asking, they subbed a Pyle PLAM40 installation kit. Here's what you're supposed to get:
20ft. 4 Gauge Red Power Wire
4ft. 4 Gauge Black ground Wire
20ft. 16 Gauge Blue Remote Turn-On
20ft. 12 Gauge Speaker Wire
20ft. Right Angle RCA Audio Cable
AGU Type 60A Gold Plated Fuse
Fuse holder, split loom, and miscellaneous crimp-type ring, spade, etc. terminals

When I took the black 4ga ground wire out of the box, it looked a little short, so I decided to measure it (and eventually, everything else). Here is what I actually got:
The "4 feet" of black 4 gauge power wire measured only 3 feet 3 inches.
The "20 feet" of red 4 gauge power wire measured only 16 feet 9 inches.
The "20 feet" of "12 gauge" speaker wire, measured only 15 feet, 9 inches and was not 12 gauge, but 16 gauge.
The "20 feet" of RCA Interconnect Audio Cable measured only 15 feet 6 inches, and the connectors were not "Right Angle" (as advertised on the package).

And, on top of all of that, the supplied AGU fuse was defective (open, not blown, but no continuity). I had to drive to a distant Pep Boys automotive store to buy another fuse (which worked fine).

I contacted Pyle several times, but they really could care less. Unbelievable. They did not act surprised at what I found. You'd be smart to steer clear.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Default RE: Pyle of crap

Legacy and Pyle are owned by the same parent company, Pyramid, so it doesn't surprise me that they would substitute these pcs. Either way, it probably wouldn't be correct. Sorry to say this, but that 4 ga probably isn't a true 4 ga either. Actually closer to 6 or 8 ga.