Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

RX8 - ONE BIG PIECE OF CRAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Default RX8 - ONE BIG PIECE OF CRAP

The RX8 is simply the worst car purchase I have ever made. Mazda should be embarrassed for the lack of quality and workmanship put into the car. With just 45,000 miles my car has been in the shop for warranty work over 7 times. The "throw out / slave cylinder" issues are appalling. I have had my throw out bearing replaced twice, the slave cylinder replaced once, the slave cylinder lubed and adjusted countless times and also replaced the clutch. The squeaky sound that comes from the clutch is NOT normal. I don't care what anyone one says. If it was normal it would have made this sound since day one. After each time my car has been in the shop the sound would be gone for about 2 weeks, then the car would end up in the shop again with severe throw out bearing noise. I have reported my car as a lemon and it is currently under investigation. I don't know how long the lemon law process works since this is my first time and I hope to be the last! I highly discourage anyone from purchasing an RX8. If anyone has had the similar problems with their clutch having throw out bearing issues, slave cylinder malfunctions or premature contact points worn please let me know. If you have any suggestions on an aftermarket clutch that has better throw out bearings and a slave cylinder assembly that would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Default RE: RX8 - ONE BIG PIECE OF CRAP

wow. I have never heard of that problem. The Rotary engine has never been slated as the most reliable engine. But it is one of the most powerful engines ever built! Sorry about your problems! That sounds like a lemon.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM

They thanks for the support. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on an aftermarket clutch that may resolve these noises? Thanks for the support.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:48 AM

crap my 05 rx8 just started making a squeeking sound that i thought sounded like the throw out bearing i hope i dont have the much trouble with it

Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 PM

CAPSULE REVIEW
The RX-8 made our 10Best list in its very first year and repeated again in 2005 and 2006. Although Mazda reports that many changes are planned for 2006, the RX-8 will have a late launch—January 2006 or later—and no details were available at press time. We expect that a few things will remain the same. For instance, what would an RX be without a Wankel rotary engine? Then there are the things we trust will remain the same, such as the RX-8’s nimbleness, turning in like a race car and resisting roll in corners, and its dashing sports-car looks that camouflage a surprisingly roomy back seat. And although it’s been one of our 10Best picks, there are those little things we’d like to see change—such as the pointlessly perforated sun visors and the wimpy air conditioning. Mazda’s engineers have an opportunity to make a good car better. We hope that they succeed. http://www.caranddriver.com/cartrims...azda_rx-8.html
Editor's notes:
For the driving enthusiast seeking a truly distinctive high-performance sports car, the RX-8 tops a very short list. Beyond its four-door coupe status (there are two rear-hinged mini-doors for access to the rear seat) and affordable pricing, the RX-8 features an unorthodox engine design, the only one of its kind available in a production car today. The RX-8's rotary engine is small and lightweight, permitting Mazda engineers to create a finely balanced sports car large enough to hold four adults. http://www.jdpower.com/autos/reviews/review.aspx?ID=471

Old 09-13-2007, 10:12 PM

Hi, I am new to Mazda Forum, I have the same issue with my 2004. I had just bought it recently as a used vehicle and it too has a throw out bearing problem. My advice to you is to not take it to a Mazda tech, I did it myself I put in a Clutchmasters FX100 clutch that I got from Ultrarev.com, I've had no problems since. When i did have the problem it would rattle at idle, but whenever i depressed the clutch it in was quiet, I called a mazda dealership to get a price quote and it came out to $1,165. Call me crazy but i'd rather do it myself or take it else where to get a cheaper deal, however quality might not be the same. The FX100 is pretty much a stock clutch with 70% more grip, it does have a little performance feel to it but it is worth it. Give thata shot. Im sorry for how the car is behaving. I love mine. I've had no problems other than the throwout bearing which is why i replaced the clutch. If you got any questions as to what clutch you need, feel free to ask. Thanks and sorry.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 AM

an insider note, the RX8 has been one of Mazda's biggest mistakes in awhile. Too big of a car to for the 13B. Rotorys are not stop and go motors. Personal I can't wait for their powertrain warranties run out, I've become effecient at RX8 motor jobs.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Just out of curiousity...where do you get ur tuning products. I have an rx8 and i really want to do some work to it and im looking to order straight from Japan b/c American products dont give this engine enough power/performance. Let me know where you get your mods from. I am very interested. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 AM

not sure if you're still looking for responses but i'm new here and figured i'd give 2 cents.

I bought my car about 5 months ago used and as the owner i've taken it in for the following:

1.) vibration while idling-had a rough idle, recovered the a/c, removed and replaced the engine, new oil filter, gaskes, filled with new coolant and oil, recharged the a/c system

2.) felt like my car was going to stall out from an idle-had lack of power, had a high misfire in r2, coils were overheating and misfiring, the wires were found sparking, and the plugs were fouled. The plug wires and coils were replaced, they drove it found the idle still there, re-checked and found i had low compression. the starter and battery were at fault and were replaced.

3.) complained about my 2nd gear they found no issue

That Day the following were replaced:
Engine-remanufactured
gasket set
gasket ex.
new oil
new o-rings
new coolant
starter
battery
ignition
cord set
spark plugs

2nd time it went in they basically ordered parts for the following problems:

4.) seat belt buckle not working-ordered

5.) pass door trim warped-ordered

6.) driver door trim warped-ordered

7.) fuel guage fluxuates-replaced fuel guage

8.) wanted to know why i had broken plastic-missing under tray, not under warranty i declined

And most recently:

9.) seat belt was found cracked they replaced it

10.) trim on passenger side replaced

11.) trim on driver side replaced

12.) found 2 sending units shorted to the ground and replaced those

13.) car won't go into 2nd gear-found grinding noise ordered 1st and 2nd gear parts.

parts ordered:
2nd gear
ring synch x 2
clutch sleeve
steel ball
spring synch
key synch

not sure if this helps you

oh and my car has 32,000 miles

Old 12-11-2007, 04:31 PM

I hate to say it, but it looks like that you may have bought an even bigger lemon. There are way too many problems with that car.
ORIGINAL: Renesis

not sure if you're still looking for responses but i'm new here and figured i'd give 2 cents.

I bought my car about 5 months ago used and as the owner i've taken it in for the following:

1.) vibration while idling-had a rough idle, recovered the a/c, removed and replaced the engine, new oil filter, gaskes, filled with new coolant and oil, recharged the a/c system

2.) felt like my car was going to stall out from an idle-had lack of power, had a high misfire in r2, coils were overheating and misfiring, the wires were found sparking, and the plugs were fouled. The plug wires and coils were replaced, they drove it found the idle still there, re-checked and found i had low compression. the starter and battery were at fault and were replaced.

3.) complained about my 2nd gear they found no issue

That Day the following were replaced:
Engine-remanufactured
gasket set
gasket ex.
new oil
new o-rings
new coolant
starter
battery
ignition
cord set
spark plugs

2nd time it went in they basically ordered parts for the following problems:

4.) seat belt buckle not working-ordered

5.) pass door trim warped-ordered

6.) driver door trim warped-ordered

7.) fuel guage fluxuates-replaced fuel guage

8.) wanted to know why i had broken plastic-missing under tray, not under warranty i declined

And most recently:

9.) seat belt was found cracked they replaced it

10.) trim on passenger side replaced

11.) trim on driver side replaced

12.) found 2 sending units shorted to the ground and replaced those

13.) car won't go into 2nd gear-found grinding noise ordered 1st and 2nd gear parts.

parts ordered:
2nd gear
ring synch x 2
clutch sleeve
steel ball
spring synch
key synch

not sure if this helps you

oh and my car has 32,000 miles

Quick Reply: RX8 - ONE BIG PIECE OF CRAP