Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

will rust protection void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Default will rust protection void warranty?

I was wondering if getting a rustprotection coat for the underbody of my vehicle will void a certain aspect of my warranty. Anyone know about this?

Old 06-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Default RE: will rust protection void warranty?

It should not affect your warranty in any way. Very common practice at many dealerships.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:10 PM

i stopped at the dealership today and they said it doesn't void the warranty. thanks babyhuey. do you think it is worth the added protection against rust? the guy i talked to said that when i purchased the vehicle, there is something in the contract that says that if i have rust under my vehicle withing 10 years or whatever, it will be replaced. was this guy BS'ing me? because if so, i'll skip the added protection and go with what this guy says (but i most likely won't).

Old 06-26-2006, 11:59 PM

will then ask yourself this...how much do you really love your 6? The answer is obvious

Old 06-27-2006, 02:05 AM

yeah, i do love my 6 oh soo much haha... it's going to be an early bday present for her.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:04 AM

I read in car and driver the 2 biggest scams for money that a dealership offers is rust protection and stain resistant interrior. The stain resistant wears off in a matter of weeks and the rust protectant (in most dealer offered applications) is gone after a few hours of driving in heavy rain.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:35 PM

There is additional warranty coverage for what is called perforation which would basiclly be rust but it does not cover damage caused by road salt or other chemicals so a good undercoat is not a bad idea. It should not wash off as it is a fairly heavy rubberized material that is sprayed on. You can buy undercoating in aerosol cans at most auto parts stores and do it yourself but is messy.
The stain resistant treatment you can get is basically the same thing as you would get if you bought a can of Scotchguard and sprayed your seats and carpet. The difference is that the one sold at the dealer has a guarantee. If you do get a stain and they are unable to remove it then they will replace the material that was damaged. Get an unremoveable stain on your carpet and they will replace the entire carpet. You do of course need to make sure that this type of guarantee is in writing and there are no exclusions etc.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 PM

Do you really plan on keeping the car that long? I personally hate that stuff and have yet to see it applied in any kind of controlled manner (It's all over your brake/fuel lines and everything else that's attached to the bottom of the car.)

Old 06-30-2006, 11:20 AM

well the plan was to keep my car for at least 10 years or so... then i was going to make it a project car quite possibly in the future with an engine rebuild and all that fun stuff. but the dealer is saying mazdas don't rust out badly, and i wash the underbody of my vehicle a decent bit in the winter so i'm hoping maybe that will avoid treched corrosion to a point. I thought about the underbody coating... i think if i do decide to do so, i'm going to do it myself cause it will be much cheaper.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:54 PM

You'd probably do a much cleaner job of applying the stuff too. I hate it when I have to dig fasteners out of a layer of underbody coat...